automatic choke

Fuel tanks, fuel pumps, carburetors etc.
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Re: automatic choke

Post by Orlando St.R »

NigelW wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm This is the mech I made for my XJ to get rid of the abysmal AED, it pulls down the jet levers giving a variable choke the same as the E Type.
That's clever, Nigel.
johngosnell wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am I may have an issue.
John, do you hear a very loud hiss when the choke is on? If so, it is working.

However, you can (and may need to) adjust the height of the needle in the jet to give the necessary enrichment. Instructions for doing this are on page C.11 of the Service Manual: http://www.jagstyperegister.com/images/ ... manual.pdf.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

Yes there is some form of hiss, but not that loud, she runs so well when warm?. It seems like over chocking to a point it will backfire then cut out, and then restarts fine as long as I don't try to rev it will tick over with the coke on.

john
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

To check the choke is working correctly electronically anyway if you turn the ignition on when the engine is cold and open the bonnet. On the top of the AED there are two wires. One is power in and the other is the earth. It does not matter which one you remove but if you do take one wire off you should hear the solenoid click as the power is disconnected.By touching the wire back on its terminal you should hear and feel the solenoid jump back in to position.

If you then start the car if the AED is working there is a very loud audible hiss as Orlando stated. When the car is warm you will suddenly hear this hiss stop as the Otter switch opens and cuts off the earth and power circuit.

If the AED solenoid does not jump when disconnecting the wires with the ignition on then it is possibly your otter switch which is defective. To check this disconnect the wire from the top of the Otter switch and touch it on a cam cover nut so it goes to earth and the solenoid should jump. The Otter switch as described before is just a clever way of earthing the AED. If it does jump the Otter switch is defective.

If it does not jump then you will have to check there is power going to the AED via the other wire. If there is power and earth then the AED solenoid is defective.

For adjusting the power ie fuel flow of the AED follow Orlando's link.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

The choke does as described but just to remind you it has a on and off switch that I operated from under the dash and it is definitely working again yes there is the hiss sound when on choke

John
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I think that one of the inherent issues/limitations in the design is setting up the needle in the "hisser" for all conditions. Some cold engine stumble is inevitable under some conditions. A short warm up before driving helps.

We have all got so used to perfect enrichment from fuel injection that allows faultless performance from ice cold in all conditions. I think we forget what we used to tolerate even with cars with conventional manual choking.

Engine stalling & stumbling cold was even reported in early road tests of the car by certain scribes.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Glyn Ruck wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 am I think that one of the inherent issues/limitations in the design is setting up the needle in the "hisser" for all conditions. Some cold engine stumble is inevitable under some conditions. A short warm up before driving helps.
Yes, agreed. Because my car lives in an integral garage, it's never likely to be colder than 12C and I probably wouldn't be driving it in ambient temperatures much below that either. Because of that, and the way I have set up the needle, I can drive my car more or less straight away and turn the choke off once rolling. If it was kept outside and the ambient temperature was 2C, I expect some warming up would be required.

John, it does sound as if you might benefit from adjusting the needle to make it run slightly richer. If you remember the starting point (count the number of turns or quarter turns you adjust it by - adjustment is fairly coarse), you can always return to the original setting if it makes no difference.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

firstly as my car is in a large garage away from the house ( about 30yds) it always feels freezing cold that's why I cant work in there during the winter months so I guess that is a contributing factor, with regard to the mixture I will have a chat with the jag man who looks after it for me to see if he can improve things. I really appreciate the comments guys .

John

!B1257BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 158 visits

Robbo911 (3), badger (3), Treetrimmer (4), RollyTG (3), DevilDog (3), Sam01 (6), charlesglasser (1), deelcee (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (13), User avatar NigelW (2), awiedie (1), abbirkin (2), johngosnell (14), JCS (31), User avatar cass3958 (21), User avatar Glyn Ruck (44), User avatar David Reilly (2), jonesdl (3), Albion (1)