Automatic choke problem

Fuel tanks, fuel pumps, carburetors etc.
Sam01

Re: Automatic choke problem

Post by Sam01 »

Thanks guys, would seem that when I use my on/off switch it does not activate the choke, so I will need to investigate why it is not earthing which I am thinking is happening. Ignition on, switch on, power goes to choke and earth's somewhere, switch off, cuts power to choke bypassing the otter switch so it can be left on as required.
In the garage tomorrow so will investigate some more and post my findings.
Thanks all
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

No actually, the Otter switch is still in place and works on cold start up. I just use the manual switch as a override from time to time.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

John Quilter wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:05 am No actually, the Otter switch is still in place and works on cold start up. I just use the manual switch as a override from time to time.
John so your switch is on the earth side with the Otter switch still in place.

Does it go between the AED solenoid and Otter switch which mean when the Engine is hot the Otter switch kicks in and the switch is obsolete or do you have a second wire coming from the AED solenoid to the switch and then on to earth so the AED can be switched on even if the Engine is hot and the Otter switch is breaking the original earth?
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Sam01

Post by Sam01 »

Today I did some work to trace the AED wires. The otter switch does work although it's not wire into the AED, I found this out by running a wire from the AED to the otter switch as the wiring diagram thus bypassing the switch, turned ignition on AED clicked, started the car and got to temp and then switched the AED off but not warm enough to keep running.
Further tracing I found a green/black wire coming from the loom above the dizzy connected to a red wire via connector leading back along the inner wing and through a grommit in the corner next to the battery, this may lead to the on/off switch? This is my next place to look.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Sam I think you might find that the Green Black wire is the earth coming from the AED so if it goes back to the dash switch when you throw the switch it creates the earth and the AED operates.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

cass3958 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am
John Quilter wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:05 am No actually, the Otter switch is still in place and works on cold start up. I just use the manual switch as a override from time to time.
John so your switch is on the earth side with the Otter switch still in place.

Does it go between the AED solenoid and Otter switch which mean when the Engine is hot the Otter switch kicks in and the switch is obsolete or do you have a second wire coming from the AED solenoid to the switch and then on to earth so the AED can be switched on even if the Engine is hot and the Otter switch is breaking the original earth?
We seem to be making this really complicated. I have one extra wire from the spade connector at the Otter switch terminal (which is still connected to the factory wiring) to a dash switch that grounds that wire. So the AED can be operated at will independently of the Otter switch. The switch has two separate functions, one to ground the AED and another to turn on a warning lamp.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

OK got it now. Had not thought of that scenario so that makes three methods of operating the AED via a switch.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 97 visits

Norton (3), badger (2), Sam01 (26), User avatar Glyn Ruck (12), Jim_R (2), pjrjag (2), RollyTG (6), JacobusBrinker (1), YoungJagFan (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (2), User avatar John Quilter (12), User avatar cass3958 (21), jonesdl (2), DevilDog (1), johngosnell (4)