REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
JCS

REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR

Post by JCS »

Hi Guys

Has anyone fitted or experienced an S Type with a rear anti-roll bar fitted?

If so, how did the car handle and what diameter are the front and rear anti-roll bars?

I am thinking of fitting a rear ant-roll bar as I often travel with full fuel tanks and a boot full of heavy luggage. The S type ride suits me, it absorbs road undulations very well and is not a hard ride, but it still has good road holding. However the rear overhang tends to induce roll when heavily loaded and I would like to restrict this using a Harvey Bailey kit.
NigelW

Re: REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR

Post by NigelW »

I have not seen an S Type with a rear anti roll bar fitted although there mountings are on the car. I have a set of Gaz adjustable dampers with Watjag springs on mine and find they control the rear end quite well even with full tanks and a boot full of tools including a trolley jack as well as luggage and passengers. If you do fit a Bailey kit I would be interested in the result.
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2023 Skoda Karoq
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Yes, I'd be interested in how you get on too, Norman. I found Harvey Bailey/Leda very helpful when they measured some springs for me a few years back. Plus, they are just outside Lincoln, so it's not out of the question to go and see them.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I would also be interested in findings with HBE rear anti roll bar fitted. These cars do roll although with reset springs rates all round & new shocks & rubbers my car is very controllable from behind the wheel. I think they look more alarming viewed externally. Stiff anti roll bars can severely compromise comfort so it would be interesting to know where HBE has tuned these things.

The only car I have driven with a HBE handling kit fitted was a early seventies Rolls-Royce Corniche Coupe. It still felt like a ponderous barge.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
JCS

Post by JCS »

Hi Guys

OK, just ordered the rear anti-roll bar from Harvey Bailey Engineering. It is on 3 /4 weeks delivery, so I will keep you all posted when I have fitted it. Basically it is the same unit they supply for the E Type.

Norman
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Excellent news!

So it's a wider uprated version of this? Does the S Type body have pick up points? (never bothered to look). I know the radius arms do. Does it come as a complete kit?

E-Type_rear_suspension.gif
E-Type_rear_suspension.gif (100.27 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
rear anti roll bar.jpg
rear anti roll bar.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
rear anti roll bar1.jpg
rear anti roll bar1.jpg (417.99 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
rear anti roll bar2 - Copy.jpg
rear anti roll bar2 - Copy.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
rear sus e.gif
rear sus e.gif (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
A1B56966DN
JCS

Post by JCS »

Glyn

The anti-roll bar is sold as a complete kit and I believe it is a wider version than the E Type as you envisaged. For the record I believe the standard E type bar is 5/8th inch, the uprated one is 3/4 inch as is the S type bar.

According to the fitting instructions you either use the attachments on the lower radius arms or use the brackets supplied. I understand the main cross bar clamps are attached by set screws that screw into existing threaded UNF holes in the body. The instructions warn that these body holes may be full of underseal. I have yet to look for these threaded holes.

Products from this source are usually well engineered, if expensive and knowing the background of this company very well from my professional days I am sure the product will do the job.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Thanks Norman. Yes ~ HBE has a fine reputation.

Look forward to your assessment once fitted.
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Well done, Norman. I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Good Afternoon,

I just finished installing a 1” front sway bar and and a set of R15/205 tires. As I was cleaning the front and rear suspension when I noticed the brackets on the rear trailing arms !

I have just sent an exploratory Email off to HBE. Their web site confirms they do sell a rear sway bar for the S type as mentioned above.

How did the install go and are you happy with the results ?

Thank you,
Jim
1964 S Type, 4spd, OD
2016 F Type, 6spd, convertible
1988 M6, 5spd

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 45 visits

User avatar Orlando St.R (6), Norton (1), User avatar John Quilter (5), Treetrimmer (4), User avatar cass3958 (3), JCS (12), GILESDENNING (3), Bingo (1), RollyTG (1), jonesdl (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (7), User avatar NigelW (1)