Suspension misalignment

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
jaguar&mg

Re: Suspension misalignment

Post by jaguar&mg »

John Quilter wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:10 pm At the risk of obsessing about this matter, I have recently corrected the 1/2 inch low on the LH (driver side) front of my 3.8S which after 170K miles has all its original springs. I found on the internet these hard rubber spacers and being quite inexpensive, ordered a set.
I think it's quite easy to over-think. Every time I look at the car I notice the suspension height. I actually think that the turning circle diagram (posted some time ago by Glyn) doesn't quite work with my car. I think that, in this photo taken this evening, it seems that my front wheels are too far back — the gap in front of the wheel is not the same as that behind it. It should be the same, I think. I thought this was related to suspension misalignment but now wonder if it is related to the after-market power steering that was installed a few years ago with rack and pinion conversion. It's possibly positioned not quite correctly. Any thoughts?
Church 01.jpeg
Church 01.jpeg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 1202 times

At a different angle it doesn't show as much — but I am very aware of it. And I know that the back is slightly too low, too. I don't think John's hard rubber spacers would work on the IRS (?).

Church 02 copy.jpeg
Church 02 copy.jpeg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 1202 times
1964 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD
1966 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD PAS
1967 MGB
1986 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (series 3)
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Has someone messed with your subframe mounting?

This is a good reference ~ take the shadow into account:

c487-leftside-remote.jpg
c487-leftside-remote.jpg (103.24 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1182 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

I don't think John's hard rubber spacers would work on the IRS (?).

They might, but you might have to cut down their thickness a bit to get them to squeeze between the coils of the rear springs even when the spring is fully extended. I had to do a bit of that with the ones I fitted to the LH front coil spring.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

jaguar&mg wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm
John Quilter wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:10 pm At the risk of obsessing about this matter, I have recently corrected the 1/2 inch low on the LH (driver side) front of my 3.8S which after 170K miles has all its original springs. I found on the internet these hard rubber spacers and being quite inexpensive, ordered a set.
I think it's quite easy to over-think. Every time I look at the car I notice the suspension height. I actually think that the turning circle diagram (posted some time ago by Glyn) doesn't quite work with my car. I think that, in this photo taken this evening, it seems that my front wheels are too far back — the gap in front of the wheel is not the same as that behind it. It should be the same, I think. I thought this was related to suspension misalignment but now wonder if it is related to the after-market power steering that was installed a few years ago with rack and pinion conversion. It's possibly positioned not quite correctly. Any thoughts?
Church 01.jpeg

At a different angle it doesn't show as much — but I am very aware of it. And I know that the back is slightly too low, too. I don't think John's hard rubber spacers would work on the IRS (?).

Church 02 copy.jpeg
I really do not think the installation of the rack & pinon system would have any effect on the fore and aft wheel relation to the fender wheel opening. It does not change the A frames upper or lower or the upright that the stub axle attaches to. It certainly did not on my car when I had the R & P system fitted.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
jaguar&mg

Post by jaguar&mg »

Glyn Ruck wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:08 pm Has someone messed with your subframe mounting?
Quite possibly, but probably before I owned the car I think. Extensive work had been carried out 'underneath' by a very reputable firm and, more recently, I have had some work done on the power steering—including r&p conversion.

So how would I/a garage be able to tell? And what sort of work—if any is possible—would rectify the situation? Big/prohibitively expensive, or not so bad?!
1967 MGB
jaguar&mg

Post by jaguar&mg »

John Quilter wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:10 pm I really do not think the installation of the rack & pinon system would have any effect on the fore and aft wheel relation to the fender wheel opening. It does not change the A frames upper or lower or the upright that the stub axle attaches to. It certainly did not on my car when I had the R & P system fitted.
It's useful to be able to write that idea [of mine] off. Thank you. I do need to solve this, though, as the road-holding is not what it should be (I have had an S-type before) but this being an impossibly expensive job (subframe mounting?) will, sadly, at the very least have to delay anything being resolved imminently.
1967 MGB

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 610 visits

Rogerisleofman (6), jerry_hoback (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (140), Albion (49), Robbo911 (2), IanMac (6), User avatar Orlando St.R (67), User avatar John Quilter (65), User avatar cass3958 (63), Treetrimmer (18), User avatar David Reilly (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (32), User avatar Tom Hoffman (3), badgerpett (18), Norton (4), Euler (4), badger (2), abbirkin (5), JCS (85), Zephyr12345 (1), johngosnell (18), DevilDog (1), jonesdl (12), User avatar NigelW (7)