Laminated verses Toughened Windscreen

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
jonesdl

Laminated verses Toughened Windscreen

Post by jonesdl »

Possibly looking to change my original toughened windscreen with a clear laminated one any thoughts regarding a new screen appreciated.
Both the front & rear glass now removed ready for re-spray they are original in very good condition still having the pull cord embedded in the rubber when fitted from new. The rear one is the heated type wires all all good also.
I have my concerns about refitting the toughened windscreen as I understand they can become brittle with age and with the state of the UK roads if the screen goes apart from the mess depending where it goes you still need to get home. With a laminated one you can get home ok if it goes.
Are the replacement laminated ones a good fit ? only some re-produced parts are questionable regarding quality etc has anybody experience of supply from either Barratt's or Manners in the U.K. and did you collect or have it delivered.
Many thanks.
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
Glyn Ruck

Re: Laminated verses Toughened Windscreen

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Dave, I fitted a new clear Triplex laminated screen from Pilkingtons UK. Perfect fit & consistency. No distortions. Mine was needless to say delivered a very long way from home & came with a complete, thick protective rubber around the edges.

I too have the heated rear screen. Remember they are thicker than standard & require a different rubber to accommodate that & the wiring when you get around to ordering rubbers.

IMG_20180815_164026 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20180815_164026 - Copy.jpg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 1821 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Thanks for the info Glyn, did you order direct from Pilkinsons or from one of their suppliers ?. I would assume that they would be the only manufacturers of a laminated windscreen for classic Jaguars in the U.K. now.
Appreciate the tip regarding the rear screen being thicker being a heated one, I didn't realised that, need to make sure the right rubber is ordered.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave J.
2000 BMW R1100s
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Really good thinking ahead there, Dave.

Sadly I didn't and the toughened windscreen went back in (and is still there).

I'm not sure if later cars had a Zebrazone toughened screen, which, when shattered, leaves a clear area in front of the driver.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

jonesdl wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm Thanks for the info Glyn, did you order direct from Pilkinsons or from one of their suppliers ?. I would assume that they would be the only manufacturers of a laminated windscreen for classic Jaguars in the U.K. now.
Appreciate the tip regarding the rear screen being thicker being a heated one, I didn't realised that, need to make sure the right rubber is ordered.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave ~ I got mine via my local supplier ~ Jagman (Gerald Williams) ~ in Somerset West near Cape Town. He orders direct from Pilkingtons UK & keeps stock. Pilkingtons SA will order for you but take forever & don't hold stock.

I don't know if there is an alternative to Pilkingtons for UK manufacture & supply any longer.

Shout when it comes to fitting the screen. There are tips to fitting to prevent the rubber pulling away from the body at the bottom corners & make sure you buy a properly shaped rubber or you will have puckering problems on the lower corners. All rubbers are not equal.
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Out of interest I also had all my side windows diamond media polished by a local firm. They had slight scratching from years of use & were returned to me as new. The process ensures absolutely flat polishing & zero distortion.

New side glass was unobtainable when I needed other than having it cut.

I'm sure there must be a similar service in the UK.
A1B56966DN
JCS

Post by JCS »

Guys

Something not discussed here but which may be of relevance to some. During the early 60’s I had completed my automotive apprenticeship and had been promoted to fleet engineer. This was with the main dyer and finisher of seat belts amongst other items, like undersea cable protection. Although I was mainly responsible for the vehicle fleet and some plant I was also engaged in discussions regarding vehicle safety issues particularly involving safety belting, which we treated, dyed and rot proofed.

On one of these discussion occasions we were treated to a Home Office (Police) film of a notorious junction/ cross road somewhere in the south of England. The cameras had been set up to capture what you could only describe as “people flying through windscreens”.

At this road junction it showed quite clearly that if you had a laminated windscreen and drove without wearing a seat belt, then your chances of surviving a windscreen protrusion were just about zero. These windscreens were not nick named “chippers” for no reason. On the other hand most survived a toughen screen, (most of which were Zebra Zoned) although they may come through with heavy facial injury. Dogs never survived a laminated screen break through.

Laminated screens have a few advantages, but really require any rider to be wearing a seat belt and we are lucky with the S type as they have belt hard point attachments.

As an aside it is surprising how many passengers are seriously injured, even fatally by being struck by a dog on its way out through the windscreen. If you fit a laminated windscreen then fit safety belts at least for your passengers, even if you choose to drive without.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I should point out that with modern laminated screens the chance of breaking through the laminate are slim. Laminated screens have advanced dramatically helped by NCAP & other safety requirements around the world.
A1B56966DN
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Appreciate your comments JCS, another history lesson I was not aware of, but hopefully as Glyn indicated, laminated windscreens have moved on over the last 50 years. However, one of my first additions after buying the S type was to look for the rear seat belts to match the fronts already fitted so when carrying passengers everybody would wear a seat belt. It took a while but I bought a pair out of a Mk 10 being broken up.
Interesting about the dogs though, I will have to look into securing them also if in the S type, as I used two dog crates at present in the modern cars used when transporting them.
Going back to my original question has any S type owner bought a laminated windscreen from Barratts or Manners in the U.K. and was everything ok with the purchase ?.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave J.
2000 BMW R1100s
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

Glyn,
Can you say a few words about "diamong media polishing"?
How it works? who does it? etc.
P1B79909DN has its original windscreen (Sundym) and, over the years, having been driven throug dust, hail, and sand storms, the glass is slightly pitted/scratched. I don't want to replace it, but if it could be made clerer again, that would be wonderful.
Thanks
David

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 75 visits

User avatar San Jose Scott (1), dennis (1), Albion (2), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1), JCS (9), awiedie (1), jonesdl (8), User avatar Glyn Ruck (34), User avatar David Reilly (4), User avatar cass3958 (4), User avatar Orlando St.R (6), Jose (4)