Coolant recovery tank/bladder

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
muzza49

Coolant recovery tank/bladder

Post by muzza49 »

I know that this topic was discussed at length and is now archived - which I've looked at.
Can someone tell me where I can get a "bladder bag" or similar ?.
I am in Western Oz, but happy to pay to freight one ex the UK or States.
Also, did everyone come to a conclusion on the best pressure rad cap to go with an overflow recovery system ?.
I think I saw a comment re a Series 111, XJ6 rad fan working well - any comments please ?
Sorry to bring this up again, but the current 30+ deg F temps here are making me worried about cooking the motor !
Cheers, muzza49.
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Coolant recovery tank/bladder

Post by Jose »

in my S type, a Volvo 1800-E recovery bottle was used, it is a thin bottle with a cap and there being so little space in the engine bay, this bottle fits perfectly in the available space.

My radiator has a 7 lb cap, any higher and it will create a lot of pressure, not good.

my 1984 Series 3 XJ-6 has a pusher fan mounted over the lower right side of the radiator, it is controlled by a thermal switch mounted on the bottom left side of the radiator, and powered through a Relay. Automatic, it comes on at a certain temperature then it goes off.

but you can just wire it directly to a switch and relay and turn it on when needed.

The size of the fan makes it ideal for the S type, it is small and powerful. You'll just need to fabricate brackets for it.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

This is the Bladder bag as it was named still for sale on E bay with the bracket which I fitted under the front wing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WI ... SwLsBZThcN
I am sure they would post to Australia for you. If you have any trouble PM me I will buy it for you and post it on. I have not had any problems with mine since fitting. I run a standard radiator cap which I think is 7lb. I used to loose a lot of water as steam even on a cool day but with the bladder bag in place as an expansion tank I rarely have to refill the radiator these days.
Jose keeps mentioning the extra fan but I do not see any need for it in the UK where the temps are low compared to where you are and in places like Arizona but before you start fitting an extra fan first give your water system and oil system a good flush. Clean out all the debri from both systems so they can work efficiently. If you don't I would liken it to putting a plaster on a childs cut hand but forgetting to take away the knife from his other hand. Find the reason why the system is over heating first and fix it then put an extra fan on to use when you get the stupidly hot days where you live.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

the earth is getting hotter Cass, that reminds me I need to get one of those fans for my S type.
muzza49

Post by muzza49 »

Thanks for the info Jose & Cass, will try the website for the bladder, and have fitted a 7lb cap (mine was 16 !).
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

yes, some people use a 12 lb. but 16 ?? 7 lb. should be fine.

I found a 1990's article which should clarify the question of Expansion and Recovery tanks.

I will post it next time.
muzza49

Post by muzza49 »

Great, thanks - I've ordered the kit and it's already at my bro in laws place in London. Fortunately I have a daughter in the UK returning home soon, so will get her to bring it with her.
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

yes, please note the XJ-6 fan I wrote about is not the Radiator or Water Pump fan, it is an auxiliary fan mounted in front of the radiator, also known as a "pusher" fan, it forces air through the radiator to help in cooling.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 36 visits

Robbo911 (1), JacobusBrinker (1), Jose (12), vaultsman (1), deelcee (3), Horse Power Junkie (2), muzza49 (8), johngosnell (3), User avatar cass3958 (4), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1)