Engine bay notice or decal missing.

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
Glyn Ruck

Re: Engine bay notice or decal missing.

Post by Glyn Ruck »

In my response to Alan above I mentioned "yellow crayon markings on the face of the regulator cover ex factory". This is a subject covered in many concours judging manuals around the world.

Simply put for the S Type fitted with either C42 or C48 dynamo.

The Lucas RB340 regulator came in many versions, all indistinguishable from each other. The 30 & 35 amp versions were marked as such at the Factory with yellow crayon to avoid confusion on the line. All RB340s have same internals, it is just the calibration on the current cut out coil that varies.

If you want to impress a concours judge that knows his oats. Put the appropriate marking back on the cover. See examples:

30 Amp regulator.jpeg
30 Amp regulator.jpeg (510.31 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

35 amp regulator.jpg
35 amp regulator.jpg (260.74 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

It is nice to know where all these decals go but I have none in my engine bay. My engine bay was filthy as you can see and all the paint was coming off the inner wings and ancillaries. Bits had been removed and those bits still there were old and worn so I have no input to this topic which might help.

Do I want the decals? Possibly yes, if there was a pack of them available and I would then put them in place but my car is never going anywhere Pebble Beach where a bloke with a clipboard, blazer and adenoids is going to be saying

"That decal is not right it should be an 1/8th of an inch further right!"

Does anyone know if a decal sticker pack is available for the S Type, 420 or the Mk2 which can be bought?
Attachments
DSCF6072.jpg
DSCF6072.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1654 times
DSCF6068.jpg
DSCF6068.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1654 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Hi Rob.
I seem to remember seeing a full decal kit for the MK2 engine bay, it may have been at Stoneleigh or the Bath show you were at marked up on a stall.
I didn't bother at the time as I hadn't got that far in to the restoration so decals were not on my list.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Full decal sets are available but none correct for an S Type & damn expensive. You will throw half of them away.

Best to order individually from Barratts & Isaydingdong.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... ultsAnchor

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/ ... aguar.html
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

"Made in England" ~ Some cars.

Made in England.jpg
Made in England.jpg (2.48 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
F143867980.png
F143867980.png (10.16 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
S engine 2013-1 - Copy.JPG
S engine 2013-1 - Copy.JPG (95.37 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
A1B56966DN
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

P1B79909DN has the 'Made in Englang' plate riveted into the bonnet channel near the chassis number.
I documented all of the labels, decals and transfers in Newsletters Vol. 6, Nos, 7 & 9.
Also check out what they have at http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/JaguarDaimler.htm
Cheers,
David
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

The problem I find with classicrepro is that they try hard to use the wrong fonts for things like the coil sticker.

Your newsletters are informative works of art that are highly appreciated. Unfortunately with items like that they don't allow interaction, discussion or disagreement/alternative findings by members. That said keep up the fine work. :D
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Battery ~ there are many black low maintenance/no maintenance SLA, AGM etc. batteries today that are easily de-branded (by pulling off stickers) so you can make up a Lucas look alike. Less so batteries that actually fit the tray but sufficient.

There are also a number of classic look batteries available but with modern innards.

There were a number of different Lucas pattern batteries over the years but most use this sticker to provide the look & feel for our generation of cars.

Lucas_GoldRed.jpg
Lucas_GoldRed.jpg (301.87 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Battery.JPG
Battery.JPG (23.82 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
1963_Jaguar_MkII_Sedan_For_Sale_Front_Engine_resize.jpg
1963_Jaguar_MkII_Sedan_For_Sale_Front_Engine_resize.jpg (248.32 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
15558399183_bf80f23944.jpg
15558399183_bf80f23944.jpg (119.97 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Lucas bat.JPG
Lucas bat.JPG (76.83 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Shield-241-13-12v-Classic-Car-Battery-Top.jpg
Shield-241-13-12v-Classic-Car-Battery-Top.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

Some older designs:

g24L.gif
g24L.gif (26.18 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Lucas battery.JPG
Lucas battery.JPG (36.32 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Lucas Batt1.JPG
Lucas Batt1.JPG (34.21 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Lucas 6V.JPG
Lucas 6V.JPG (22.45 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
A1B56966DN
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

Glyn,
Great stuff!
To archive it, how about an article on battery 'originality' for the Newsletter.
The original Lucas battery in my car keft it so long ago that I cannot really remember it.
I do know that 'back itn the day' they did not have that garish 'Lucas' label.
Cheers,
David
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

David Reilly wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm Glyn,
Great stuff!
To archive it, how about an article on battery 'originality' for the Newsletter.
The original Lucas battery in my car keft it so long ago that I cannot really remember it.
I do know that 'back itn the day' they did not have that garish 'Lucas' label.
Cheers,
David
Hi David ~ I don't know if I know enough about battery originality over S Type production to produce a worthwhile article. Does anyone? There is method in my madness. I'm about to decal my car & Dave was asking questions. I'm sticking what I have witnessed around the world during my long winded rebuild, due to an expat global job, out there for comment. I'm not suggesting it is definitive & go to pains to explain that. Push back/alternative experience from others allows me to decide on what I will do & we all help one another & learn in the process. Remember I decided to rebuild an SA CKD car (No 4 numerically built at CDA) to British spec so I've had to try & research every item & then decide what I would do. e.g the bonnet latch & lock was pre assembled & sprayed over by Browns Lane. In SA they were fitted in their plated form afterwards. Rebuilding back to SA standard is impossible as too many of the "local content" materials are simply no longer available. You can't even get a Silverton period, look alike radiator.

What Lucas battery style did your car come with? I remember a black raised Lucas moulded into the casing of a family car. That's all. The "garish 'Lucas' label" seems to be accepted by many Jag clubs around the globe on concours cars but that does not make it right. It might just be expedient due to availability of the decal. I am told that this Lucas branding started in the 1960's. Lucas used some garish branding on the S range of batteries in the late 50's.

As I said to Alan Wiedie who has helped me with numerous items (a kindred spirit) ~ I have been closely studying the S Type for the past 30 years. While some things never changed it is extremely difficult to restore to any single standard as no such thing exists. Because somebody took delivery of a car new from Browns Lane & have owned it ever since is no guarantee that a car produced 3 weeks later would be identical. It likely won't be. Bring the South African assembled S Types from both the CDA Plant in East London & Cape Town Plant in Blackheath into the equation and the water is further muddied. All one can do is one's best & try to have a photographic record of new production at one time close to your production date to back up your decision as to what is "standard". Books from James Taylor, Andrew Whyte et al are full of errors. Taylor has attempted to rectify some of that in his latest book but sadly much by total omission.

I'm extremely reluctant to archive anything because then the learning tends to cease & that crystallization is considered definitive ~ even when later information might come to light & prove it partially or totally incorrect. Even this little exercise has convinced me that I won't be attaching a polarisation decal to the regulator. I think it is likely that they were only attached to RB340's sold as a spare part. I will apply the yellow crayon marking. This might change with further research.

It is why I enjoy generating discussion on this great & sadly underutilised resource.

So I'll pass on a definitive battery article for now ~ If I ever feel bold enough to consider that I have all the info I will let you know. I certainly don't now.

We do know that the first 1961 Series 1 E Type flat floor's came with this Lucas battery.

Lucas bat.JPG
Lucas bat.JPG (76.83 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

I will continue to research batteries in S Types.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 611 visits

johngosnell (10), User avatar San Jose Scott (1), User avatar cass3958 (47), User avatar Glyn Ruck (332), Albion (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (26), awiedie (63), jonesdl (21), Jose (102), User avatar Tom Hoffman (3), User avatar David Reilly (4)