1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires back on the road after 30 years.

Stories and photo's about "S"-Types you know or own
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Re: 1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires back on the road after 30 years.

Post by Orlando St.R »

Hi Glyn. Apologies for the poor pic, but here is my brake fluid decal pre-restoration. Hth.
jaguar dunlop brake fluid decal 1965.jpg
jaguar dunlop brake fluid decal 1965.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Re: 1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires back on the road after 30 years.

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Thank you Orlando. The picture is fine!
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Fantastic news! After jumping through all the hoops ~ Police clearance, weighbridge, data dotting, endless paperwork etc. etc. my car is now registered and back on the system after 30 years. Temporary permit will be issued next Tuesday. Booked for roadworthy next Friday. Then period metal number plates will be fitted instead of modern plastic jobs & she is back on the road. Phew :D

I will then be fitting final Decals, Stickers & Plates. We have been discussing this issue here.

http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... f=22&t=235

Then long leisurely, and not so leisurely, drives to run her/break her in. Studiously ignoring Jaguar's suggested mileages & methods on antiquated oil formulations.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Glyn Ruck wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 pm Fantastic news! After jumping through all the hoops ~ Police clearance, weighbridge, data dotting, endless paperwork etc. etc. my car is now registered and back on the system after 30 years. Temporary permit will be issued next Tuesday. Booked for roadworthy next Friday. Then period metal number plates will be fitted instead of modern plastic jobs & she is back on the road. Phew :D

I will then be fitting final Decals, Stickers & Plates. We have been discussing this issue here.

http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... f=22&t=235

Then long leisurely, and not so leisurely, drives to run her/break her in. Studiously ignoring Jaguar's suggested mileages & methods on antiquated oil formulations.
Great news. More photos needed once you have her up and running. How has it taken you so long to rebuild the car? My restoration took me 16 long months from purchase to complete strip down and back to being on the road and I thought that was a long time.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

cass3958 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 pm Great news. More photos needed once you have her up and running. How has it taken you so long to rebuild the car? My restoration took me 16 long months from purchase to complete strip down and back to being on the road and I thought that was a long time.
Rob ~ I had just bought the car & started the restoration when the Mutinational Oilco I worked for posted me to a global expat position & I left the country for Dallas at the time. I left the car in the hands of somebody who was touted as SA's finest Jag restorer & he let the project languish to the degree that I had to respray the car twice ~ he got fired. It took retirement & a return to SA to get the project back on track and completed with a relative youngster that is actually a Studebaker expert. He had done a heavily modified GT Hawk, a Champ, a Borgward Isabella Coupé & a couple of Mercs for a friend. He is massively talented & with my anal Virgo tendencies we got the job done.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Well I hope she lives up to your Anal Virgo expectations. lol
I gave up trying to make my S Type perfect just drivable on a daily basis. The general public seem to like it and I have won several (unfortunately only seconds) prizes at local shows but yet to bag the big one. Second best in show to a Lotus Elan s2, Second best Jaguar in show to a series 1 XJ6.
I have had mine on the road for four years now and already there are bits that are starting to look their age. A little TLC is required when the weather gets better plus some additions such as the decals, a front valance, new fuel tanks, new door cards, stake down kit. This list goes on.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

cass3958 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 pm Well I hope she lives up to your Anal Virgo expectations. lol
I gave up trying to make my S Type perfect just drivable on a daily basis. The general public seem to like it and I have won several (unfortunately only seconds) prizes at local shows but yet to bag the big one. Second best in show to a Lotus Elan s2, Second best Jaguar in show to a series 1 XJ6. I have had mine on the road for four years now and already there are bits that are starting to look their age. A little TLC is required when the weather gets better plus some additions such as the decals, a front valance, new fuel tanks, new door cards, stake down kit. This list goes on.
Cass don't forget the Leather Tank Straps lol!
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

cass3958 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 pm Well I hope she lives up to your Anal Virgo expectations. lol
I gave up trying to make my S Type perfect just drivable on a daily basis. The general public seem to like it and I have won several (unfortunately only seconds) prizes at local shows but yet to bag the big one. Second best in show to a Lotus Elan s2, Second best Jaguar in show to a series 1 XJ6.
I have had mine on the road for four years now and already there are bits that are starting to look their age. A little TLC is required when the weather gets better plus some additions such as the decals, a front valance, new fuel tanks, new door cards, stake down kit. This list goes on.
Ah! she's lovely ~ an absolute pleasure to drive (naughty late at night stuff unregistered). Quiet, smooth & tight as a drum. Beautiful purr from the engine. Not a single rattle. It makes you realise what an advanced driving experience the S Type offered for the day. Ahead of it's time compared with it's competition in the mid 60's. And even though one Cyril Crouch had reservations about the styling it has stood the test of time. It is one pretty motor car & a lot more popular than the 420 that he preferred (I have nothing against the 420 ~ never been too fond of the siamesed bore engine though). Even flat bed trucking it around for all the registration requirements here it draws a crowd around it everywhere it is unloaded.

The TLC never stops but that is part of the fun. I'm not surprised you have done well at shows. You worked hard at it. Now Joe must get his beautiful beast finished.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Agree never been a fan of the front end of the 420. Too boxy. Lost all the curves and styling in my view. Having said that I did suggest on another topic that this forum should be opened up to the 420 as they have so much in common with the S Type. Another idea ignored.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Yes, I think the 420 needs a little more love. I quite like them, actually.

Congratulations on your milestone, Glyn. That's great news and we look forward to new images of the period-style plates and decals. My rear plate is the original ACE plate (repainted), but the front one was just too bent and battered, so I had to mount the original letters on a new backplate.
rear plate.jpg
rear plate.jpg (102.27 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

I've done 7,000 miles in the 4 years since my restoration was completed. It has been fun.

Never won any awards, though. :( . Maybe that's because I spend half my time at shows with the bonnet up, cooling her down.

Luckily, there is always something to tinker with. :D
Last edited by Orlando St.R on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 1310 visits

deelcee (19), Norton (24), JAGUARRacing (2), User avatar Glyn Ruck (481), HG_S-type (11), MouldyCC (1), DevilDog (58), ALOBRY (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (109), User avatar Tom Hoffman (9), RollyTG (17), Fairmount Weather (1), Robbo911 (5), IanMac (3), abbirkin (13), Rogerisleofman (11), User avatar John Quilter (47), User avatar cass3958 (122), Treetrimmer (24), awiedie (77), User avatar David Reilly (21), Bingo (2), Fredomusicman (39), User avatar jaguar&mg (6), muzza49 (1), gripper (1), User avatar Norrena (1), Albion (22), Horse Power Junkie (5), GILESDENNING (3), Markunderwood (2), JacobusBrinker (6), Mechiel (12), dennis (4), Sam01 (15), MDLV (2), angelo1952 (1), Phil from OZ (1), ecollectables67 (1), 99RXW (1), User avatar roman_mg (2), paddyx350 (2), Jim_R (3), Eddielopez! (3), XKJag (1), johngosnell (4), brent (3), Bondracer7 (1), jonesdl (19), JCS (15), User avatar NigelW (18), Jose (51), pjrjag (2), KennyL (1), User avatar primaz (1), vaultsman (1), maurizio ortodossi (2)