Does anyone know where these wires go?

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
minimeadow

Does anyone know where these wires go?

Post by minimeadow »

I was poking around the engine compartment and found these three loose wires tucked underneath the carburetors. Someone wrapped clear tape around them, and labeled them "A/C", so I assume I will eventually need to reconnect them to get the air conditioner working, although that's probably a year or two down the road. They come out of a wire bundle that runs under the glass filter bowl. Wondering if anyone has insight into this. My car has A/C, which I'm guessing was a dealer-installed option.

In the background you can see that I'm part way through replacing the solenoid, unrelated to the current question. I'll post something on what it took to get the car started when I've made some progress on that.

Best regards, Scott
IMG_3852.jpeg
IMG_3852.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 2705 times
cass3958

Re: Does anyone know where these wires go?

Post by cass3958 »

Don't know.
I can reasonably say that they are not original wires as the Jaguar loom had bullet connectors not spades and the plastic coated wires look too new. Original wiring was predominately cloth covered. But as you have guessed if this is an optional extra for the A/C then it could have any wire and connectors fitted.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Not original as Cass says. Might have run to an idle speed booster when the HVAC compressor clutched in??? You will have to trace.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
minimeadow

Post by minimeadow »

Cass, Glyn, thank you for the feedback. I'll hopefully come back to this when I get the more immediate issues sorted out. Best, Scott
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Just for your information Scott that felt pad you have on the bulkhead behind the battery needs to go. When you open the bonnet on a rainy day water pours down the back of the battery onto this pad which then stays wet for a long time. Being wet and in contact with the metal of the bulkhead you will find it rusts through over time.
I had to make a repair to my bulkhead during me rebuild as it had a great big rust hole in it. I have replaced my felt pad with a closed foam pad which does not retain water but protects the bulkhead from damage should the battery try and move. Please excuse the welding but I was new to it and this was outside in an open area with a breeze blowing.
Bul head area required.jpg
Bul head area required.jpg (245.01 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
repair patch fitted for size.jpg
repair patch fitted for size.jpg (161.49 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
repair patch welded in.jpg
repair patch welded in.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Bulk head repaired.jpg
Bulk head repaired.jpg (183.32 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
minimeadow

Post by minimeadow »

Cass, thank you for the advice about the felt pad. I pulled it off to see what was behind - fortunately no rust. This car seems to have spent a lot of time baking in the sun, but must have been kept fairly dry.
Attachments
IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 2605 times
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Three other places to check.

Inside the rear doors where the chrome window channel is bolted to the inside of the door. Here you will find another felt sound pad. Water runs down the channel onto the felt pad and the door rusts from the inside to out. Very common on a Mk2 and S type. One of my rear doors had been "repaired" before I got to it. They had welded in a small square repair patch which had warped the door skin. Took ages to repair this.
DSCF6704.jpg
DSCF6704.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 2596 times
The second place is inside the rear wheel arch. On the inside face against the boot wall there are some scallops just like the shape of the bulkhead behind the battery. These retain mud and moisture and you will get rust through this area into the boot. Same as below the dirt and stones get kicked up and damage the paint exposing it to rust.
DSCF7127.jpg
DSCF7127.jpg (5.54 MiB) Viewed 2596 times
Lastly the front leading edge of the fuel tanks. All the detritus from the rear wheel gets kicked up into the face of the fuel tank and causes wear and rust. Sometimes the pin prick holes are too small to actually see the fuel leaking but you have a constant smell of fuel vapour in and around the boot.
IMG_6694.JPG
IMG_6694.JPG (4.47 MiB) Viewed 2596 times
IMG_6695.JPG
IMG_6695.JPG (5.33 MiB) Viewed 2596 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

The rear door felt patch that pads the bottom of the window channel from the skin is very common. Soak with Tectyl.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
minimeadow

Post by minimeadow »

Cass, Glyn,

Thank you for the rust advice - I will add this to my (growing) list.

Best, Scott

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 58 visits

Robbo911 (3), HG_S-type (1), vaultsman (1), member (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), User avatar John Quilter (5), User avatar Glyn Ruck (3), User avatar cass3958 (10), Rogerisleofman (5), Treetrimmer (7), minimeadow (14), User avatar Tom Hoffman (2), RollyTG (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (3), jerry_hoback (1)