Marles varamatic steering box

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
Robbo911

Re: Marles varamatic steering box

Post by Robbo911 »

I thought I would update you on my progress. I have sorted out the hoses to the power steering box: I had some 420 hoses which I had bought just for the connectors which I repurposed. As the 420 box I am using has the connections on top the routing is not ideal - down to the front of the subframe with both the flow and the return. I haven't made any provision for a cooler which I understand was standard for S types with the varamatic box, but hoping that I won't need it. Anyhow, now back on the road and working, with no leak! Still need to finally position the p/s hoses, lockwire the front calipers and set up the suspension but feels like I am making progress! Then will need to move on to getting some new tyres, sorting out what I think is a front screen seal leak etc etc. The list is long but at least one milestone checked off.

Thanks for all of your help - it is great to have support. I will post some photos when I get a chance
1966 3.4 S man o/d in opalescent golden sand with red leather, wire wheels
P1B7647DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Nice to hear it is coming along. The PAS fluid cooler is pretty basic on the S Type. I have attached a photo of mine. I will have to check tomorrow where the pipes run from and to but I think it runs from the steering box through the cooler then in to the reservoir on a return. The cooler is just a curved metal pipe on the end of the rubber hoses with some alloy fins attached. You could buy a small after market oil cooler which would do the same job but then again unless you are really working the steering you are not going to heat up the PAS fluid where it would be needed in my view.
PAS Oil cooler..jpg
PAS Oil cooler..jpg (389.12 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Robbo911

Post by Robbo911 »

Thanks for your thoughts, Rob. I'd imagine the cooler will be on the return. I am definitely going to use the car without any cooler for now and see how I get on. As you say, difficult to imagine that it would be needed but I guess Jaguar put it there for a reason - maybe for hotter climates than ours!
1966 3.4 S man o/d in opalescent golden sand with red leather, wire wheels
P1B7647DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

My car being a 1967 has the BW35 gearbox also has an oil cooler for that which is in the base of the radiator. Seems a bit of an over kill but as you say possibly for hotter climates than ours.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 370 visits

User avatar John Quilter (53), Robbo911 (100), minimeadow (6), Treetrimmer (26), User avatar cass3958 (37), HG_S-type (16), Rogerisleofman (33), JCcamest222F (2), jerry_hoback (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (20), User avatar jaguar&mg (6), User avatar Tom Hoffman (2), User avatar Glyn Ruck (58), johnthejagman (1), RollyTG (2), User avatar NigelW (6), User avatar David Reilly (1)