How long last a 3.8L engine ?

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Fredomusicman

How long last a 3.8L engine ?

Post by Fredomusicman »

Hi, Still in my research of my 3.8 S LHD MAN+OD.
I'm on a really nice one, restored for 16y. The engine is well maintained, but has his original 135 000km/85 000mls.
And don't know the oil pressure, but I see really no smoke on the videos.
Is it just by the end ? Or can he last to 150 000kms / 95 000mls ?
An idea of the budget to renew the matching number XK 3.8L ? rather 5 - 7 000€ or 12 - 15 000€ ?
Thanks !!
I'm searching my manual "S" Type
Aston Martin DB9 2013
Still at the moment a Corvette C3 1971.
A lot of basses !
cass3958

Re: How long last a 3.8L engine ?

Post by cass3958 »

The XK engine should be good for 100k miles but it all depends on how hard it has been driven but also how little it has been used.
A well used engine with a good service history will be good for many miles. Well lubricated and not stood around.
A low mileage engine which has been stood around for a long time with no oil being circulated and then started once every month and turned off before it is heated up can have more damage than a well used engine. Water can seep into the oil, rust can cause sediment in the radiator and the water ways in the block. Old oil can congeal in the oil ways and oil pump.
Even a rebuilt engine is no guarantee that the engine is good or has been done correctly. You can't strip it down to look inside so you have to go on your instincts.

My engine had 75k miles on the clock after 45 years but had been sat for last ten years and used sparingly for the previous ten years to that so when I bought it it needed to be rebuilt. Re bored, new pistons, valves, valve guides, big end bearings, main bearings and so on. Total cost for the machine work was £750. Parts were another £1000 and I stripped the engine and assembled it myself. Total cost for the rebuild was in the region of £2000 when you add on gaskets and fluids.
If you let someone else do the work for you you might be looking at £5000 for an engine rebuild as labour costs are a killer.

Only you can tell if the engine is good and strong during a test drive. In comparison to welding, repairing and painting bodywork the engine is very easy and cheap to repair. I would be looking for the best body work and paint work I could find. If the body has been well looked after generally the engine has also been well looked after.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Fredomusicman

Post by Fredomusicman »

Thanks Cass ! ;)

Yes it's well maintained, but stood for a long time I guess, before body and trim restoration, for 16y. And then in the last 16y he was not driven often..
I Have a video I can send it to you if you are willing to give me an opinion ;) .

Here you made the summary of what i'm thinking too !:

I would be looking for the best body work and paint work I could find. If the body has been well looked after generally the engine has also been well looked after.

And trim/leather/wood, because more expensive than an engine rebuilt, then. And if parts were missing, it"s not easy to complete nice together..
Thanks again !
I'm searching my manual "S" Type
Aston Martin DB9 2013
Still at the moment a Corvette C3 1971.
A lot of basses !
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

My restoration is now nearly 9 years old and I have to keep on top of it all the time otherwise it can go down hill very quickly. I remember going to see a Mk2 Jaguar in 2016 with my friend who was looking to buy one. The seller had photos of the restoration but could not tell us when it was done as it was done by the previous owner. I looked at the car and found lots of rust coming through on the lower wings and wheel arches. We then studied the photos and on the back of one of them was the date of 1990 which is when the restoration was done. This meant the restoration was 26 years old. A lot can happen it 26 years and a lot can happen in 16 years so make sure you look carefully at the car and not at photos.

I will send you my Email address via a PM if you want to send me a link to the video of the car.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

With modern lubricants it will last a very long time.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 29 visits

member (1), Norton (1), ALOBRY (1), JohnW (1), deelcee (1), Fredomusicman (10), User avatar John Quilter (2), Treetrimmer (2), Rogerisleofman (2), User avatar cass3958 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (2)