3.8S Radio

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
Markunderwood

3.8S Radio

Post by Markunderwood »

Hello
Does anyone have a recommendation about where to obtain a radio that will fit properly? I have checked online sites and to tell the truth nothing comes up very specific to 3.8S replacement.
Mark Underwood
Gig Harbor, WA
USA
65 3.8s
97 XJR
30 Ford model A
Glyn Ruck

Re: 3.8S Radio

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Are you just trying to find a period, mono radio that works or do you want all the latest frills like iPod connectivity etc. To connect to a modern hidden stereo system? (i.e. Old case with all the modern facilities.) Is your car positive or negative earth? Both can be accommodated without creating a ticking time bomb. Trying to insulate old radios that are not dual polarity can cause a car fire very quickly.

Car companies mainly launched FM in 1963 in the US. Much later in other countries.

Both are available or can be accommodated. Let us know & I'll contact my friend in Dallas for advice on reliable companies etc. He has done an absolute study on giving period radios all the modcons with no change in appearance or enclosure/mounting. Owns a huge collection of classic cars. Most originals were Radiomobile or Motorola in Jaguars.

I just went period look NOS.

C3heZwzw.jpeg
C3heZwzw.jpeg (428.73 KiB) Viewed 858 times
c5leT8sw.jpeg
c5leT8sw.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 858 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Markunderwood

Post by Markunderwood »

After all the trials and tribulations I have gone through with this restoration I want all the bells and whistles in the radio, iPhone, Bluetooth, Etc. It will be negative ground. Since my car didn't come with a radio I have only seen pictures of what it is supposed to look like. Thanks for the help.
Mark Underwood
Gig Harbor, WA
USA
65 3.8s
97 XJR
30 Ford model A
Markunderwood

Post by Markunderwood »

BTW that wood piece the radio fits into cost me 250$ to buy as a replacement for my rotten piece. One guy in Florida had one.
Mark Underwood
Gig Harbor, WA
USA
65 3.8s
97 XJR
30 Ford model A
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

Many decades ago I fitted a Pioneer AM/FM cassette player to my S after converting it to negative ground. Car originally came with a Blaupunkt AM/FM/Marine band radio with was what the selling importer/distributor fitted at time of sale.
Attachments
Radio 3 (2).JPG
Radio 3 (2).JPG (352.26 KiB) Viewed 796 times
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Markunderwood wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:37 am After all the trials and tribulations I have gone through with this restoration I want all the bells and whistles in the radio, iPhone, Bluetooth, Etc. It will be negative ground. Since my car didn't come with a radio I have only seen pictures of what it is supposed to look like. Thanks for the help.
OK ~ My Dallas friend thinks like you. Hidden Subwoofers under the front seats, Hidden amps, iPhone, iPod connectivity etc. etc. I have sent him a message & await his reply. He will wake up to my e mail. Do you want a red needle on the dial or do you mind digital numbers? needle on dial is doe-able.

Typical Radiomobile
Radiomobile..JPG
Radiomobile..JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Radiomobile.JPG
Radiomobile.JPG (79.53 KiB) Viewed 770 times

Typical Motorola. Some have slightly triangulated knobs.
Motorola..JPG
Motorola..JPG (86.01 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Motorola.JPG
Motorola.JPG (107.12 KiB) Viewed 769 times
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Response:

This guy in Australia has almost an infinite range of finishes. The guts of every radio he makes is Retrosound (Retrosound makes all the latest bells & whistles). Classic Auto sound makes it look exactly as you want.
What he installs is basically the knobs, buttons, face plate and dials

In this case I suggest that he send a picture of the radio that he has and classicautosound will make a radio to look like the OE

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index. ... list&c=692

Classic Auto Sound
www.classicautosound.com.au
Ph : 02-4871 1778 (International : +61 2 4871 1778)

So choose a correct period radio that you like the looks of. The rest will be done for you & have all the latest bells & whistles but not have a digital display as an example.
A1B56966DN
Markunderwood

Post by Markunderwood »

What about the Dallas guy? Does he supply radios? I tried Retro auto sound and the website is confusing and I called customer service to get advice and they were not very helpful. Seems like the faceplate should be curved to fit the wood piece. Do you have a pic of what the original radio looks like?
Mark Underwood
Gig Harbor, WA
USA
65 3.8s
97 XJR
30 Ford model A
Markunderwood

Post by Markunderwood »

okay I think I got what you are suggesting.
Mark Underwood
Gig Harbor, WA
USA
65 3.8s
97 XJR
30 Ford model A
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Go to the Australian & he will build you a radio that looks exactly as you wish but with all the modcons you desire from Retrosound fitted.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 80 visits

Markunderwood (11), Rogerisleofman (1), vaultsman (4), User avatar Orlando St.R (4), Treetrimmer (7), User avatar jaguar&mg (4), User avatar John Quilter (6), User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar Glyn Ruck (35), pjrjag (1), Norton (1)