Front Subframe Brackets

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
Glyn Ruck

Re: Front Subframe Brackets

Post by Glyn Ruck »

cass3958 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:56 am
Thanks Glyn those brackets might be for the fog lamps although from what Terry has said the brackets are almost directly behind the fixings for the number plate. That said it is the closest suggestion yet.

Question. I have just bought the front subframe valance from Martin Robey which I am going to fit to my car to tidy up the underside but how is yours attached to the subframe?
Are there corresponding holes in the subframe?
Did you just use Tex screws / self tappers?
Is yours Black or colour coordinated?
The subframe valance I show above from Barratts (presume yours is the same but from Robey) usually gets very banged up over time. Mine was awful on all 3 cars so I tossed them & got a new one. US number plate mounting is different to ours but I presume your friend has a RHD UK car.

1) There are corresponding holes in the subframe. (or there were on all my cars.)
2) Used the correct self tappers & correct copper washers under them.
3) It is correctly body colour coordinated. (you will see once done it blends properly with the front fenders.) Some just spray everything under the car black which is wrong. It should be body colour over stone chip/schutz in most places but not the subframe valance. The subframe valance should not have stone chip under the paint.

This picture is deceptive but all I have clipped from a much larger photo. It looks as though the valance has stonechip on the side of it. It does not. The pic is dead on & you can't see the back side only the top & frontside. There is some orange peel but we decided not to buff it out due to secondary location. Why I think the pics of your friends car might suggest a home job is the holes for the bumper irons. They were never like that. They were cut out U shapes as below.

IMG_20180722_165324 orig - Copy (3).jpg
IMG_20180722_165324 orig - Copy (3).jpg (429.33 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

My Mate Terry with these brackets has done a little research himself and this is his email to me.

I am now able to tell you mine cannot be the only one with the brackets. Take a look at sng Barratt UK, when searching for parts for classic 'S', enter 5137 and there it is. I also found it in a search of Ebay and found a NOS one that sold for £175 plus £15 postage. That's where I found the part number.
Thanks for your help and of course the input from the forum. I'm sure you will be able to pass on the info to other Jaguar nuts, I hope it further improves the knowledge base.
I does not solve the question as to what the brackets do or are for. Any answers welcome.
I've attached a photo of NOS one!
regards
Terry
Attachments
Front cross member with brackets.png
Front cross member with brackets.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1094 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Interesting. We live & learn. It does not even have rounded ends. Another '64 difference. None of those ever came to SA but we started building later than that at CDA. We were still building Mk2's at that time.

Are they for under bumper spot lamps? It is a rare beast. Not even listed for Switzerland.

It is interesting that it is not listed in any of my S Type Parts Manuals ~ even as an alternative. Or for certain VINs. Does he know how early his car was built? The fact that it did not make the Parts Manual would suggest very early. I have a whole range of Parts Manuals.

Front X member cover..JPG
Front X member cover..JPG (44.96 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Front underbody..JPG
Front underbody..JPG (98.19 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

Did a Mk2 ever have such a thing? I don't have a Mk2 Parts Manual.

That's on the JagDaim website Australia and their Ebay site.

Jaguar X member cover..JPG
Jaguar X member cover..JPG (86.11 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Further research tells me that it is a carryover from: It fits them all. ~ I'm surprised at early Mk1 as they made front suspension changes during production but it obviously did not affect this cover. Probably why it is not in the S Type Parts Manuals. It was never intended for the S Type with it's different fenders & "face". The S Type valance cover is a lot prettier.

Daimler 2.5 V8 / V8 250

Mk I / Mk 1 3.4

Mk II / Mk 2 2.4 & 240

Mk II / Mk 2 3.4, 3.8 & 340
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Can you say that again Glyn I am confused!
This is a weld in position cross member that Terry has, not the valance. In fact the valance that I have just bought would not fit on Terrys cross member because of these brackets if that is where it is supposed to sit. Terrys chassis number is 51396 which puts it as a 1964 model but I don't have a specific month for his build.
SNG list part number 5137 Front Crossmember and looking at their picture even though it is poor and does not give you a great view, it shows brackets similar to Terrys. It is not listed as an S type part but comes up under Mk2 and then states it is suitable for the S Type.
My speculation is that this is not an S type part ie the S Type should not have the brackets. Maybe they were brackets to support the heavier Mk2 bumper and rather than make several variations they just make the one which can be used on the Mk2 and S type. Perhaps Terrys car has had a new front cross member fitted prior to his purchase and the generic cross member has been fitted?
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Rob. I think we are confusing one another. I would ignore the Barratt's site. It has many errors. Let's keep this simple

At the end of the day 5137 is a Mk1 & Mk2 part and maybe not many 240's & 340's. (i.e. not 240's & 340's that take the slim S Type bumper. Some US 240's & 340's still had the large "Armco" bumper as pointed out on the other forum by Coventry Foundation) US Mainly got 340's.

That is why it is in no S Type Parts Manual. It's not an S Type part. How it got on Terry's car who knows???

Hope that is a little more clear. Forget about the Daimler V8 ~ it just followed Jag practice. What you have just bought is the same as mine & correct for an S Type.

Sorry if I stirred the soup the wrong way.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 158 visits

Sam01 (1), Robbo911 (5), minimeadow (3), Markunderwood (1), no17 (2), Reimbold (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (2), Norton (2), User avatar cass3958 (26), User avatar Glyn Ruck (83), User avatar Orlando St.R (5), RollyTG (2), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (9), User avatar David Reilly (3), JCS (2)