uk battery

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
deelcee

uk battery

Post by deelcee »

i need a new battery for my 3.8 s-type charged by generator
any recommendations in the uk please
jaguar 3.8 s-type mod
lexus ls430
cass3958

Re: uk battery

Post by cass3958 »

There are many suitable batteries available but what you need to look for is the Ah. Some cheap and small engine batteries are as little as 40Ah whilst a large diesel engine battery is over 100Ah.

I run a YUASA 3000 model number YBX3068 12V 70Ah 570A. The terminals are at the front of the battery with the negative to the left as I also run a generator.

I would contact SNG Barrett see what they recommend as in size and Ah then look around. If you have changed from Positive earth to Negative earth then your battery terminal will be changed around so make sure you get the the terminal set up correct or you might have to extend the cables to get it to fit.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
deelcee

Post by deelcee »

thanks Cass
jaguar 3.8 s-type mod
lexus ls430
Treetrimmer

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi there,

When I was searching for a battery, I wasn't too precious about it. Love you, I was still using the original Dynamo/ Power steering pump, and had changed to Negative earth .
I went to a large Halfords, and searched for the highest rated battery that would safely fit the space.
I selected a HCB096. This had a CCA of 680 amps, and was rated at 75 Amp/hours. It came with a 4 year guarantee.
I couldn't find a battery with the original terminal orientation; it seems most had the positive terminal at the right hand front and negative terminal at the left hand front. The original leads had enough length to cope.

This battery turns a cold engine over just fine, and I'm sure would be okay for you.

Regards, Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

I'm running an Interstate MT34-1 with 700 cold cranking amps. Terminals are near the firewall. Not had any issues with it and I run a stock generator negative ground and my engine cooling fan cycles on an off a few times on a hot shut down to ventilate engine bay. Interstate is a common battery brand in the USA and commonly available.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
JCS

Post by JCS »

I am running two BOSCH S5-007 with 75Ah at 12 volt, one in the normal position and one in the boot. Both terminals are against the firewall, with the positive on the outside of the car. The car is positive earth with a dynamo.

Before fitting the Bosch S5-007 I tried four other makes including Japanese, all failed in less than a week. The Bosch batteries were purchased on line from a company at Stockport, England and I would repeat the purchase of required.

Norman
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Try Varta batteries manufactured especially to BENZ AGM or SLA specs. My previous Merc that I sold a long way back to a friend, battery lasted 14 years. He only changed it because I told him it would likely let him down at an inopportune moment. I was pretty certain it would have failed a load test at that age. But the engine turned over with ease still.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

I bought a Shield period-look battery with hard rubber case. The model is 242. 73Ah. This is my second; the previous one lasted me 7 years. I paid £125 direct from Shield. I have mounted so the terminals are towards the front of the car. Mine is positive earth.
Shield-242-13-12v-Classic-Car-Battery1-2.jpg
Shield-242-13-12v-Classic-Car-Battery1-2.jpg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I also have my terminals to the front. I had a choice & find it more convenient with the lid that way. Also positive earth. Debranded the thing. Now I must just put my Lucas sticker on it.

BTW The prices Mercedes charges are not out of line with other premium battery suppliers.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 52 visits

Rogerisleofman (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (3), User avatar Glyn Ruck (11), User avatar cass3958 (8), User avatar John Quilter (6), Treetrimmer (9), User avatar David Reilly (5), jerry_hoback (2), JCS (3), Albion (1), RollyTG (1), deelcee (2)