Overdrive compact A

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Glyn Ruck

Re: Overdrive compact A

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I'm pleased Dave Twigger was able to help. He is the best I know.

Please test run before fitting & set solenoid. That pin in a hole method is hopeless & inaccurate. You can't set pressures etc in the car.

Do not leave it lying around. Install and use. Lack of use is no good for these things & the cone clutch sticks. I'm about to take a soft hammer to mine now. Then give it plenty of use. I don't like rough driving to free it.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi.
Yes, David gave exellent service and advice. Have bench tested it and works! Not tested with load and was unable to get more than ca. 600 rpm input. Engaged and disengaged several times.
Thanks for all good advice!
Harald
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi. The OD is now fitted and working very satisfactorly in my S 3 e type. It’s ( almost) a shame Jaguar didn’t have an option with OD on the e type. It is a tight fit under there but no modification, cutting, grinding or welding was needed. Needed some elecrical wiring ofcourse. I choose to fit a late Volvo OD relay as it works as I wanted. OD controlled by a momentary “on” switch. ( push on / push off ). If you shift out of 4th, OD is not engaged when selecting 4th again. Considered a button on top of gearstick, would require a hole all the lenght throug gearstick for electrical wire. A local engineer shop could manage that, but did not have correct size special drill bit. If I wanted a hole I had to pay for the drillbit whitch is rather expensive. Fitted a toggle switch instead. Also wired in an extra cutout relay operated by reverse switch. Belt and braces to avoid OD engaged simultaneously with reverse whitch probably spells disaster.

Thanks for valuable help and tips. Rgds Harald.
Attachments
93BDC268-D329-4E8D-8451-D170885A5EA9.jpeg
93BDC268-D329-4E8D-8451-D170885A5EA9.jpeg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 480 times

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 174 visits

Norton (63), User avatar Glyn Ruck (54), philippe (7), dennis (2), Bojs1 (2), User avatar John Quilter (10), Treetrimmer (11), User avatar cass3958 (11), User avatar Orlando St.R (6), User avatar David Reilly (1), HG_S-type (3), RollyTG (2), GILESDENNING (1), abbirkin (1)