Side Window Scraper

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
David Reilly

Side Window Scraper

Post by David Reilly »

I’d like to replace the side window glass scrapers on P1B79909DN and could use advise from those who have been deeply inside their ‘S’-type doors,
The part is BD.21073/3 “Seal (Neoprene) between top of door and glass”.
First, it has a profile and I would like to know who supplies one that fits properly and stops water from running down the outside of the widow into the door.
Next, what is the replacement process? Does the chrome bead, that it is fitted into, have to be fully removed? Or is there a way to insert the seal from the rear of the bead? If it has to be removed, what is the inner fastener (see photo 1) and how do you remove the 4 of them?
Finally, there is a metal piece, covered in felt(?), held to the inner door frame, on the inside of the glass. By four clips. What part no. is it and who supplies new ones?
Many thanks for your help and advice.
David
Attachments
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 928 times
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 928 times
cass3958

Re: Side Window Scraper

Post by cass3958 »

David there are two parts to the weather strip. I will try and find the part numbers for you.

The inner felt section is held on to the inner lip of the door using metal clips. It comes in a long section with from memory a rubber backing and it is over this rubber backing that the metal clips are pushed. Here is a picture of the back of the clips when the door capping wood is removed.
Metal clips holding felt strip in place
Metal clips holding felt strip in place
IMG_6525 (2).jpg (848.34 KiB) Viewed 916 times
To remove and replace this section only the door wood capping needs to be removed and then the clips are pried off. Part number BD5195 and can be bought at SNG in lengths of 2 metres. https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... 0BD5195%60

The outer rubber scraper section is a different kettle of fish. Again it comes in long sections of rubber like a windscreen wiper which you have to insert into the chrome which sits on the top of the door. Part number BD21073 https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... bd21073%60
Problem is to get this chrome section off you have to strip the door right back removing not just the door cards but the window and chrome window surround. The glass has to be removed as it does not wind down far enough to get to the rivets.
Location of the rivets that have to be removed
Location of the rivets that have to be removed
DSCF6008 (2).jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 916 times
Attached is a picture of the chrome strip over the top of the door with my spare offered up.
door chrome strip being offered up.
door chrome strip being offered up.
IMG_0150.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 916 times
My spare chrome strip.
Chrome strip the rubber scraper section fits in.
Chrome strip the rubber scraper section fits in.
IMG_0149.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 916 times
This is held in place by rivets which have to be drilled out and obviously replaced.

The rubber strip sits in the profile of the chrome.
Profile where the rubber scrapper strip sits.
Profile where the rubber scrapper strip sits.
IMG_0153.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 916 times
The rubber strip once inserted into the chrome has to be trimmed in situ as it runs along the bottom of the sliding window glass but also sits tight against the front rear quarter light and the door skin. This means you have to trim the top section off (The scraper bit) leaving the lower rubber section to make a seal between the quarter light and door skin. Hope this makes sense and I have attached some photos to try and show it but they do not come out very well.
Where to trim the rubber scrapper.
Where to trim the rubber scrapper.
IMG_0157.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 916 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Excellent advice from Rob. Please forgive my one correction.

Yes ~ the S type unlike the Mk2 has a whisker strip on the inside of the glass which comes in 4 precut pieces as it is not flexible and a rubber wiper that has to be pulled into a channel in the outer waist beading. The whisker strip is held on by stout clips. It is not felt (the Mk2 has whisker strip both inside & outside)

Tip. ~ after plenty of soapy water & pulling, pushing & kneading to get the rubber wiper strip into the exterior chrome channel. DO NOT trim to length for at least 10 days. You will have stretched the rubber & it will slowly shrink to size & be too short if trimmed immediately. A mistake we made & had to rectify.

Outer door seal
Outer door seal1.JPG
Outer door seal1.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 911 times

Profile actually cut from my roll.
IMG_1312 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1312 - Copy.JPG (152.43 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Whisker strip (metal edged). The deteriorated whisker strip can clearly be seen in David's 1st photo. The P/N I ordered under is dead. I'll try & find replacement.
950526a6-748d-46ab-ba7c-9688e8dd3354.png
950526a6-748d-46ab-ba7c-9688e8dd3354.png (39.38 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Thanks Glyn I forgot to mention the stretched rubber bit before cutting. I feed mine into the groove and then bunched it up as much as I could so it was no longer stretched, Ie I pushed it into the groove rather than pulled it, but still waited until it had settled down before I cut it to length. I would also clean out the groove the rubber strip has to go into with some wire wool to get it clean then lots of soapy water to slide the rubber in to the groove.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

No problem at all. I just wanted to avert a problem we had even after trying to bunch up the rubber. Fortunately I had plenty of stripping. Agree the groove should be spotless that you pull the tongue into. Mine was newly re-chromed. Once all was settled & trimmed I put a drop of super glue at each end of the channel so that the rubber was going nowhere.
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Here is the correct inner whisker strip. Will need trimming to length from 20". The old precut & correct sets of 4 seem no longer available. Only order as BD20010/1

Inner whisker strip..JPG
Inner whisker strip..JPG (90.51 KiB) Viewed 900 times
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

That is the one I used Glyn. It has a metal edge into which the brush is fixed and it is this metal edge which goes under the metal clips not as I thought at first a rubber strip. Easy to cut to length using tin snips or wire cutters.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Ah! pleased we are in agreement. I think we are both attention to detail freaks LOL. If it's worth doing it may as well be done correctly. :D
A1B56966DN
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

Thanks guys! I knew you would come through!
I appreciate the tips and part numbers.
SNG Barratt offers a couple of different aftermarket reproductions of the seal. As repro stuff is dodgy these days I’ll call them on Monday and see if they can tell me any differences.
Glyn, I can’t read the SNG part no for the “whisker strip”, can you send it? Also the Jaguar Part no. please as I couldn’t identify it in the Parts Manual.
Also, since I’'ll have the doors apart, I might as well do the quarterlight seals
Cheers
David
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Part Number for Whisker Strip. Only use this number as there are some strange substitutes.

BD20010/1

Because it was used on many cars it is yet another omission from the S type Parts Manual ~ "Door glass waist seal - On some vehicles this seal is used as an inner seal, and on others it is used as an outer seal." The only place you will find it listed is in the Mk2 Parts Manual as an outer door seal. The Mk2 used this whisker strip as an inner & outer seal pre the neoprene wiper as fitted to the S type. The number above is the original P/N ~ The quality of my inner seals from Barratts was excellent so I would have no fears as long as you order under the above number. I was running the S type filter on the Barratts site which is why I could not find the P/N that I ordered under which is as above. That is why the number was "dead"

I would do the NDV/Quarterlight seals at the same time. David when discussing the outer rubber seal with Barratts send them a copy of my profile snipping picture. It is good stuff.
Regards,
Glyn
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 102 visits

Markunderwood (1), ALOBRY (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (46), gtimorison (1), Fonzie (2), Albion (2), Treetrimmer (4), User avatar cass3958 (17), User avatar John Quilter (5), RollyTG (8), Norton (1), GILESDENNING (2), User avatar David Reilly (12)