Petrol Guage Adjustment ?

Fuel tanks, fuel pumps, carburetors etc.
dennis

Petrol Guage Adjustment ?

Post by dennis »

My fuel guage now permanently shows a reading midway between 0 and a 1/4 full irispective of whether the car battery is connected or not and when there is no petrol in either of the tank.. When petrol is added to either tank the meter does respond both for left and right tanks.
Is it posible to adjust the meter, say to 0 when there is no petrol in the tanks. ?
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
cass3958

Re: Petrol Guage Adjustment ?

Post by cass3958 »

Is it sat at 0 to 1/4 on both tanks?

I ask as the sender unit can get clogged up with a varnish deposit from old fuel as it is just a piece of metal on the end of a float arm that moves across a coil of copper. If it is only one tank this might be your problem if it occurs on both tanks then it has to be the fuel gauge. I have a spare in the garage which I can pull out tomorrow and check if there is an adjustment you can make but as far as I know without looking there is none.

If it is your gauge rather than buying a new one you could always send it to https://speedycables.com/ who will strip, clean and repair your original gauge. They also calibrate speedos as they did mine on my Lotus Seven for me. Highly recommended.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
dennis

Post by dennis »

Hi Rob,
Many thanks for your quick reply, the problem definitely is the fuel gauge itself. For a change this was a nice quick job to remove it from the panel.

Shaking it, the needle moves but still comes to rest midway between 0 and 1/4, I blew into the hole for the panel bulb and some dust came out, I don't know if this is the problem and as I cannot see any way to adjust or dismantle the gauge to clean on your suggestion I will contact Speedy Cables tomorrow and see if they can help. Hopefully open Saturday morning !
Thanks again
Dennis
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

To dismantle gauge ~ Just bayonet off the front black ring. (i.e. turn ring until tabs line up with slots & withdraw). Slight warming with a hairdryer helps & maybe a slight nudge with a small flat tipped screwdriver. (tip covered with masking tape). No bending required but the glass antirattle seal will likely have deteriorated. I restored all my gauges. Click blue link in my signature & you will find my thread.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 25 visits

badger (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), abbirkin (1), dennis (11), User avatar John Quilter (2), Treetrimmer (1), User avatar cass3958 (3), User avatar Glyn Ruck (4)