Indicator units

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
Sam01

Indicator units

Post by Sam01 »

Hello to all hope everyone is well, could anybody tell me if the s-type indicator units can be either left or right as they seem the same apart from the writing on the amber lens.
Many thanks.
cass3958

Re: Indicator units

Post by cass3958 »

If you are talking about the front indicators. The indicator housings and lenses are sided so should only go in one way. Inside the housing there are letters which tell you which side it is. For instance this lens is for the right hand side as you can see below the 21w sign it has the letters RH.

DSCF4110.JPG
DSCF4110.JPG (5.73 MiB) Viewed 1212 times

The top of the lens is curved and there is on mine the words "L690" in one corner and "ENGLAND" in the opposite corner near the screw hole which would need to be facing the correct way up.

Below are photos of the left and right lenses.
DSCF3745.JPG
DSCF3745.JPG (5.59 MiB) Viewed 1212 times
DSCF3743.JPG
DSCF3743.JPG (5.2 MiB) Viewed 1212 times
The clear lens which was for exported cars has the same "ENGLAND" in the corner.
DSCF4043.JPG
DSCF4043.JPG (5.79 MiB) Viewed 1212 times
If you are referring to the rear light clusters than they can be put in either side and it is only the lower red reflector lens which is sided. The lower reflector lens can be removed and turned upside down. The lens is slightly thicker on one side that the other so it sits in the aperture at an angle so the light is reflected in the correct direction. On the lens there are the letters "LH" and "RH" so you orientate the lens so the "RH" is readable the correct way up for the right side and vise versa for the left side. This rear cluster is set for the right hand side.
DSCF3767.JPG
DSCF3767.JPG (5.29 MiB) Viewed 1211 times
DSCF3767 (2).JPG
DSCF3767 (2).JPG (536.11 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Sorry to bicker but the chrome bases of the rear lights are also sided as the chrome reflectors in each unit left to right are differently angled.

LH Base is P/N 9356

RH Base is P/N 9357

Barratts has now made a one size fits all but they are ill fitting & very obviously wrong when lit vs the originals. They also don't have angled lower round reflectors. I was lucky enough to get pristine NOS for my car. A Motorcycle shop in the UK were doing a clean up & found they had 10 of each in stock still in perfect original packaging. They have no idea where they came from & who had ordered them from Lucas.

$(KGrHqFHJE!FJcJFDy)uBScn67mLVQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqFHJE!FJcJFDy)uBScn67mLVQ~~60_57.JPG (188.8 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
$T2eC16JHJGMFFpOFSb99BScn7BBcp!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16JHJGMFFpOFSb99BScn7BBcp!~~60_57.JPG (213.64 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
$(KGrHqZHJC!FJonNfm9eBScn+Vo4Bw~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqZHJC!FJonNfm9eBScn+Vo4Bw~~60_57.JPG (179.79 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
$T2eC16JHJGMFFpOFSb99BScn7BBcp!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16JHJGMFFpOFSb99BScn7BBcp!~~60_57.JPG (213.64 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
$T2eC16JHJH8FHQ0H6!4QBScn7IrQzg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16JHJH8FHQ0H6!4QBScn7IrQzg~~60_57.JPG (237.83 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Sam01

Post by Sam01 »

Many thanks for the explanation, as when looking at the ones being advertised they sometimes do not mention about sides. Once again thanks.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

You are right Glyn two different part numbers which I had not noticed so I pulled out two of my spares to see what the difference was between them.

The chrome surround on both left and right is identical so the clusters will fit the body work either side you fit them. There are no markings on either to indicate that one is right hand and the other left.

The reflector insert can be swapped to left or right in both.

The difference between them is the inserts for the brake and indicator bulbs.

You can see in these photos which show the left and right clusters that the bulb holders are riveted in at different angles to allow the bulbs to point in the correct directions. The right side cluster is on the right as you look at my photo and the left side cluster is on the left. It is difficult to make out in your photo which side that cluster should go.
IMG_9768.JPG
IMG_9768.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1181 times
Presumably they are swapped over for an exported car that drives on the right. I am also assuming because I have not seen them in person that on the SNG reproductions the bulb holders are possibly riveted in flat so they can be used on either side and any country.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

The pics above are not actually my set but rather from the internet many years back. They show the angled bottom reflector well.

Mine are as good as that condition wise. As I've said before every external light on my car is NOS.

I only discovered that the rears were sided when interrogating the Lucas catalogue & Jaguar Parts manual when searching for NOS units in 2013 & having a look at my numerous old bases from my & the donor cars. I realised they looked different L to R. Then I noticed that even just the chrome bases had different P/Ns. I actually wonder if construction changed at some point. Nevertheless your pics clearly show the lamp holder orientation which would align them with their chrome reflector.

Anyway mine arrived in their original Lucas boxes and were marked left & right on the boxes plus having the correct L & R P/Ns. Also it was rather obvious from the angles of the round reflectors. They were complete assemblies.

A friend has a car with the Barratt's unisex units fitted. They look OK in daylight but at night when lit vs my car they look very odd.

I apologise for being anal. LOL! I think I need to take your wise advice & stay away from the concours.
A1B56966DN
Sam01

Post by Sam01 »

Hi, just to carry on about the front indicators there is one advertised as drivers side but the amber lens has all the l690, England, Lucas all upside down. if the unit is the drivers side can the lens be l/r hand or is it possibly a left hand unit the wrong way round.
Many thanks.
Sam01

Post by Sam01 »

Well, after reading again your brilliant description of the front indicators and lenses being sided I have answered my question. So many thanks again.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Can you put a link to that advert on here Sam. Just cut and paste the Hyper link in to your text and we can have a look. Drivers side is a bad description as it could be left hand drive and therefore a European or US indicator. you really need to see the inside of the lens to look at the RH or LH marking. The "L690" and "England" on the front of the lens should be at the bottom and the right way up to be readable when looking at it normally on both sides.

I found this one on EBay which is for the LH as you can see the LH in the back of the reflector. Looks a bit moth eaten but the studs always rot out and you can replace them with nut and bolts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-S-Typ ... ondition=4

There is also this pair of indicators but the price is eye watering at over £300 but cheaper than new and they look in very good condition.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-1970-Ja ... ondition=4

I have lots of spare rear light clusters and some front indicator lenses but I do not have a spare front indicator housings as these do tend to rot out due to where they are positioned in the front wing unprotected against the detritus coming up off the front wheel.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I note the L690 lenses are no longer manufactured according to Barratts. They had plenty of trouble getting the left & right lenses the same colour as one another. Mr Barratt personally found me a set of NOS units that were the same colour.

Barratts had to return their entire stock in 2013 when I pointed this out.

Only last year new lenses & full assemblies were available. I can see used prices creep up now unless someone males another batch of them.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 98 visits

jerry_hoback (1), IanMac (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (4), member (1), JacobusBrinker (1), User avatar John Quilter (12), User avatar cass3958 (19), Treetrimmer (8), RollyTG (1), abbirkin (1), Sam01 (20), JCS (5), User avatar Glyn Ruck (22), User avatar NigelW (2)