Heater improvements

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
Treetrimmer

Heater improvements

Post by Treetrimmer »

I must control my mission creep!

I removed the bonnet, because I couldn't get adequate access to re-connect the top steering column joint.
Whilst the bonnet was off, I removed and sprayed the bonnet hinges in B.R.G. ( for some reason they were in some other shade of green)
As the bonnet was off, and the hinges were off, I thought about up-grading the heater- as I said, "mission creep".

I purchased a heater upgrade kit from a British Supplier, but that opened up a whole can of worms, as said supplier hadn't realised the "S" type heater is quite different from a Mk 2. The kit comes with a more powerful motor, a bigger fan, and an " improved" heat exchanger. However, the water connections on the "S" type are quite different from the Mk2, so the improved heat exchanger is not a "like for like" swop over. My car had been fitted with replacement heater pipes, and it would be very difficult to re-plumb to match up with the new heat exchanger.

So, my question is-has anyone found a more modern heat exchanger that will fit the existing heater casing, and has the inlet/outlet pipes in the correct place?

Regards, Richard

So
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
John Quilter

Re: Heater improvements

Post by John Quilter »

I have often thought, though not tried since I do not live in a severe climate, that changing from the standard 160F degree thermostat that is approximately the equivlant to 70C which causes the gauge to run in the middle of the scale, to a 180F degree one for winter use might improve heater performance. Yes, it would be an inconvenience to swap thermostats each fall and spring but it might be a solution without heater matrix or fan changes. Anyone tried this?
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Did you get this upgrade from Claytons?

Orlando's car is fitted with an upgraded heater from back in the days. Might be able to find one of those & restore it. Shoot him a PM.

Orlando's upgraded heater:

orlando - Copy.jpg
orlando - Copy.jpg (127.79 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Yes, mine (pic in Glyn's post above) came from Claytons and has the upgraded fan and radiator. I had to send them my existing box and they upgraded it. It does work better than the original. Then again, I almost only drive it in the summer.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
David Reilly

Re: Heater improvements - Interesting Advert

Post by David Reilly »

:lol:
Attachments
Smiths Heater advert.jpg
Smiths Heater advert.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

In climes with greater temperature extremes a typical story concerns a chap in New York who complained to Sir William Lyons at the New York Motor show that the heaters were inadequate, to which Sir William responded "young man, you should put on an overcoat! !!" ~ LOL.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 43 visits

Sam01 (1), Rogerisleofman (2), User avatar John Quilter (7), ALOBRY (1), badger (1), JacobusBrinker (1), Treetrimmer (5), User avatar cass3958 (5), User avatar David Reilly (3), User avatar Orlando St.R (4), User avatar Glyn Ruck (10), abbirkin (1), JCS (2)