Heater Improvements

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
Treetrimmer

Heater Improvements

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi Folks,

A typical example of mission creep!

Having taken the bonnet off to reconnect the top joint of the lower steering column, I decided to then remove and upgrade the heater. The insulation on the heater casing was already very tatty, so I was quite happy to remove it. What have other members used to replace the insulation?
I'd be grateful for some suggestions and I'm not too worried about originality.

Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
cass3958

Re: Heater Improvements

Post by cass3958 »

The original material and the stuff I used is called Hardura felt material. It can be bought here on EBay but others might sell it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardura-Felt ... SwtItbs337
It is the same material that the boot floor carpet is made from so when I bought my boot carpet I bought an extra couple of meters re covered the heater and also used the material to make new inserts for the underside of the bonnet. It is not the original material for the bonnet but it looks good and the original inserts are no longer available. The underside felt makes a good insulator and is easily glued into place. The topside is a tough leather look vinyl material.
When you replace the cover on the heater you can just glue the hardura on to the metal having cut out the correct shapes using the old material as a template. The edges can become messy after a while so you can either stitch the edges together forming a jacket or what I did was to get some black rubber gasket sealant and glued the edges together.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Treetrimmer

Re: Heater Improvements

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply and the EBay link.

Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 25 visits

minimeadow (2), Rogerisleofman (1), Reimbold (1), IanMac (1), KeithD (1), Norton (2), gerrypopO (1), jerry_hoback (1), CSSType (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), JCS (4), User avatar John Quilter (2), User avatar cass3958 (4), Treetrimmer (3)