Fuel sender unit

Fuel tanks, fuel pumps, carburetors etc.
RollyTG

Fuel sender unit

Post by RollyTG »

I am about to install a new left hand fuel tank and testing the new sender unit before putting it in the tank shows that it works, but in reverse. When the float is in the fully up position it shows empty. Surely that is not right. Could it be that this unit is for a negative ground car and mine is positive? If so can I just reverse the wires at the gauge? If I do that presumably the right hand tank will then be reversed??????? Any advice welcome.
Last edited by RollyTG on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.
John Quilter

Re: Fuel sender unit

Post by John Quilter »

I do not think that is the issue as many years ago when I converted my car to negative ground there was no issue with the fuel gauge readings.

And FYI, from my Morris Minor experience, at least for those cars, there was a change in the gauge and sending units which reversed their function when they went from an earlier gold faced gauge to a black gauge circa 1963. Could there be a similar change in the sending units for Jaguars?
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
RollyTG

Re: Fuel sender unit

Post by RollyTG »

Thanks John. You are right, that is not the issue. The problem has been located - it is in the mind of the operator. I was looking at it upside down. I wish they were all that easy.
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 21 visits

badger (3), pjrjag (1), JCS (3), johngosnell (1), Treetrimmer (1), User avatar David Reilly (1), User avatar John Quilter (3), User avatar cass3958 (1), RollyTG (7)