Reversing MIrrors

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
dennis

Reversing MIrrors

Post by dennis »

Hi All,
I have just started the finishing touches to my S type renovation and owing to my garage/workshop being at an angle to the drive I do need to fit some reversing mirrors. Before I started the renovation I did purchase smallish mirrors to fit to the quarter lights. Having to keep adjusting the mirrors, and not having a very secure fixing I am looking at buying either door or wing mirrors. There are pros and cons for both, between keeping the classic, unspoilt line of the wings and more modern door mounting types. Can anyone give me any ideas and recommendation of the best type and make to fit ?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Dennis
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
cass3958

Re: Reversing MIrrors

Post by cass3958 »

I have two wing mirrors half down each wing plus a drivers door mirror which they called an overtaking mirror.
The mirrors on the wings are useless. They are too far away to give you any decent view. Setting them up is a nightmare and then the visibility is appalling. Tiny mirrors that you can only just see the side of the car in.
The overtaking mirror is fine and gives you a good view down the side of the car but the chrome up right of the front quarter light window gets in the way and you have to lean backwards slightly to get a full view in the mirror of what's behind you.
The overtaking mirror on the door is a lot better than the wing mirrors and if I had not had holes in the wings for them when I bought the car I would not have fitted them.
I would go for two door mirrors. Closer to you and the visibility is better even though it can be restricted at times.

From what I read somewhere the S Type did not come from the factory with wing mirrors fitted and they were added as an aftermarket extra. None of the sales brochures I have for the S Type have wing mirrors in the photos.
You will find that the first time you try and reverse the car no matter what mirrors you fit it feels weird. The boot slopes away from you so you cannot see it and you have no perception of the length of the car. It takes getting used to and I can now reverse my car in to some very tight churchyards for weddings but I am always erring on the safe side and constantly get out to check how far I still have to go back. Better safe than sorry. I had thought of putting some discrete reversing sensors on the car but not got around to it yet.
Attachments
DSCF2585a.jpg
DSCF2585a.jpg (411.23 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

I would agree with Cass3958. In my opinion wing mirrors are useless, spoil the lines of the car and constantly get in the way when working in the engine bay. My car is fitted with two round Lucas repro mirrors on the doors. At least the driver's side can be adjusted from the driver's seat. These mirrors are reversible so can be fitted to either side. Some are available with a convex lens which is useful on the passenger side. There are two types of mountings for these mirrors, the type I use is attached by two chrome self tapping screws but there are also ones that are attached with one stud but that requires a nut on the inside. Mine came from Moss as they are used on many sport cars. Being a Lucas repro the look quite period. And FYI when my car was new, in 1965, there were no factory mirrors fitted to US delivered cars. It was up to the buyer to fit what they wanted and the dealer supplied them.
John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA
Attachments
LH front shade 6-17.JPG
LH front shade 6-17.JPG (420.75 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

In the 1960s, external mirrors were not standard equipment at the Browns Lane Jaguar factory. But Jaguar Part No. 6021, "Wing Mirror", is listed as an option in the 'S'-type Parts Manual. External mirrors were fitted to cars exported to countries where they were required by law. Two were fitted to cars sent to Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Luxembourg and Switzerland. Only one mirror was required on cars exported to Austria.
9 Lucas 406 and 407 exterior mirrors
Lucas made two types of external mirror at the time. There were Lucas Model 407-112 for the driver’s (off side) door and the Model 406 which was a wing mirror in two versions 406-29A for the off side front wing and 406-41A for the near side front wing. For the countries requiring two mirrors, they would be a pair of Lucas 406s, one on each front wing. Austrian cars would have a Lucas 406-29A mounted on the left front fender as being lhd, the Model 407-112 would mount only on the right door, which on an lhd car is the passenger's door.
In the '60s, a new 'S'-type owner had the choice of wing-mount or door-mount aftermarket exterior mirror in many different shapes and sizes.
There are advantages and disadvantaged to fender (wing) mirrors and side-door mirrors.
Fender mirror pros:
• give a clear view along the sides of the car
• can be used without turning your head.
Fender mirror cons:
• if 'bumped', they cannot be adjusted from the driver's seat and it is a two-person operation to adjust them. Note: One Register member told me that this is a 'plus' as his wife will not drive the 'S'-type not being able to see with the mirrors!
• field of view is small and objects in the mirror are tiny.

Side door mirror pros:
• adjust easily
• give clear line of sight to the rear and, with two mirrors and correct adjustment, there is no blind spot
Side door mirror cons:
• must turn one's head (briefly) to check mirrors
Attachments
9 Lucas 406 and 407 exterior mirrors.jpg
9 Lucas 406 and 407 exterior mirrors.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Thank you David great information for us again.

My original but broken mirrors (found in a box in the boot where they had been thrown,) were oblong and I assume they were original factory fitted so when I rebuilt the car I put new oblong mirrors on which are made by Desmo.

My mistake was buying standard flat mirrors when I should have bought convex mirrors for a greater field of vision.
100_5233.JPG
100_5233.JPG (645.46 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Another option if you don't like drilling is clamp on mirrors to the NDV frame. ~ no they don't damage or mark the chrome.

1b00b619-7bc4-4d44-a107-8dd7fd50a7a0.png
1b00b619-7bc4-4d44-a107-8dd7fd50a7a0.png (104.03 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
090_177 - Copy.jpg
090_177 - Copy.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Tex MQR4.PNG
Tex MQR4.PNG (97.53 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
MQT5.jpg
MQT5.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
MQT1.jpg
MQT1.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 28 visits

Rogerisleofman (1), gerrypopO (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (2), RollyTG (2), wouldbeowner (1), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (2), User avatar John Quilter (5), Treetrimmer (2), User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar David Reilly (3), johngosnell (1), dennis (1)