Boot won't open

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
RollyTG

Boot won't open

Post by RollyTG »

Does anybody have any experience with breaking into the boot on a 3,8S? I closed mine yesterday (not locked as far as can tell - I don't have a key for it) and now it will not open. It seems the mechanism has somehow become disconnected. The little square handle/lever which should open it does nothing. Any suggestions???
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.
John Quilter

Re: Boot won't open

Post by John Quilter »

If the slot in the trunk lock is vertical and the square lever under the chrome reversing lamp plinth moves freely it is likely locked. The lock for the glove box and trunk are the same key number so you might be able to take the glove box lock out and have a locksmith make a key to match which would then open your trunk.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Thanks John. Unfortunately the two locks are of entirely different vintages; the glove box lock is new. I do not have a key for the boot lock. It appears that my boot lock has historically been opened with a screwdriver, but that doesn't seem to be working now. ????
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

When the boot is locked the lever has no pressure on it. When it is unlocked you can feel resistance against the lever. The same feeling you have with the door handle push buttons. The lock just rotates a bar so the lever comes into contact with the mechanism to unlock and removes the bar so there is no contact for the locked position.
One of the faults with the locking mechanism of the boot is the exposed pins either side on the boot floor which the boot closing clasp wraps around when the boot is pushed shut. If there is anything in the way of the pins, polishing cloths, blankets, coats, etc, etc they can wrap around the pins and stick into the closing clasp. I have done it once and the boot would not open normally but I found a bit of brute force pulling the boot up with the lever open the boot finally popped up. The feeling with the lock lever could be that it is stiff meaning the clasp is stuck closed or it could feel free because the lock is in the open position not being able to close because there is something jammed in the clasp stopping it from closing fully but stopping it from opening.
There is as I am aware no other way to get to the boot lock from the outside. There is a solid metal plate behind the back seat so no way in there. The plinth and rear lights all screw on from the inside as does the hinge.
If your boot has truly locked itself as the lock is already damaged try drilling out the lock and then operating the mechanism via the hole. I think I might have a spare boot lock mechanism in the garage which I will try and find and I can then at least tell you what to do once the lock has been drilled out.
Not the best advice but brute force seems to be the only option.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Thanks Rob. Insightful response as always. There was a bunch of stuff lying in the boot so it could be that blocking the pin. I will persist in trying to get the lock to turn but it's not looking good. I have ordered a new lock so drilling out might be my best option. Fortunately I can see inside the boot with my endoscope because one of the tail lights is off the car - but I have not seen much of any use. I can see one of the operating levers through the slot where the number plate mounts but I have not been able to get it to move yet.
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

I often find to ease opening of the boot, it is useful to push down on the boot to at the same time a pushing up on the square lever. This makes it easier for the two catches that circle the two pins to release. Of course the key lock has to be unlocked.

I wonder if it might be possible to remove the license plate drill a hole in the proper area and work the linkage through the hole. Then the hold could be filled with a rubber plug or metal cap of some sort and hidden when the license is replaced. Might be less brutal than drilling out the key lock. Maybe someone has a photo of the inside of the boot lid in the area of the linkage which is usually covered by a black carboard liner.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I don't have a photo of the inside set up of the boot lock but here are two of the outside showing the lock mech in place and one without during my strip down which might help.
Attachments
DSCF6106.jpg
DSCF6106.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 1534 times
DSCF6100 (2).jpg
DSCF6100 (2).jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Thanks for all the tips and photos folks. David Reilly has provided me some photos of the inside, so now I understand how it is supposed to work - I think. When I get my new lock I will make a decision on whether to drill out the old one. Cutting holes in the boot lid will be my last ditch option.
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

The boot is open. It was pretty simple - a bit like how I feel now for not figuring it out earlier. :oops: Rob's picture of the lock was the big clue. I realized that what I was seeing on my car was not the lock cylinder but the mechanism behind that it engages with. A bit of brute force applied with a screwdriver turned that part and it popped open. Much relief. :D Thanks folks.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Much relief and well done for figuring it out. Better than having to cut a hole in the boot somewhere.
Good result but everyone should still be aware of getting anything trapped in the boot locking clasps and pins.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 102 visits

Treetrimmer (6), angelo1952 (1), RollyTG (44), johngosnell (5), User avatar Glyn Ruck (2), User avatar John Quilter (18), User avatar cass3958 (17), User avatar David Reilly (7), User avatar NigelW (1), JacobusBrinker (1)