Rear Bumper over rider.

Jaguar "S"-Type parts wanted
cass3958

Rear Bumper over rider.

Post by cass3958 »

In January 2015 having done a deal with a company based in Singapore called the Harrington Group I received my new set of Stainless Steel bumpers. The fitment and finish could not be questioned and I duly put them on to my car.
I attend several classic car shows where I live but meet up with other S Type Jaguar owners very rarely as the S type is quiet a rare car in the UK now. Normally if there is another S Type they are parked in a different part of the show not side by side. At a classic car meeting last July I meet up with a friend of mine who has a 1968 S type Jaguar in the same colour, Old English white. We are members of different car clubs, living in different parts of Devon and never get a chance to park up beside each other but on this occasion at the end of the show I drove my car over and parked up beside him so we could get some photos of the cars side by side. It was whilst the two cars were side by side that I noticed that the front and rear bumper over riders on our cars were different. Mike's car is an original unrestored 1968 S Type so it was interesting to see this difference. At first I thought it might be a change of design between the years of the cars 1967 to 1968 but looking at other S Type photos I have this is not the case. On close examination I could see that the shape of the over riders were different front to rear and it appeared when I assembled the bumpers I had put the rear over riders on the front bumper and the front over riders on the rear. (Silly me) I put this simple exchange down on my winter job list, took some photos and thought no more about it.
Over Christmas whilst pottering through my winter job list I thought I would tick this one off so got the car up on the ramp and removed the two bolts holding the rear over rider in place and took it to the front to compare it. Low and behold the profile was different as I had thought and the rear over rider was supposed to go on the front as it was more upright and perpendicular to the front of the car. So I removed one of the front over riders with the intention of just swapping them over to discover that the front over rider is only held on with one bolt. Obviously I had put the over riders on correctly in 2015 when I assembled them as the rear does have two bolts to the fronts one which correspond to the holes in the actual bumpers.
Looking at the two over riders it appears that the mounting brackets inside the over riders have been welded in to the wrong shells making the rear over rider shell only mountable to the front bumper and vice verse with the front over rider shell.
I have attached some photos showing the difference between the original chrome bumper shape and stainless steel bumper. It is subtle and only obvious when the two cars are side by side.
In this photo of the front bumpers, my car is closest to the camera and you can see the over riders on the original bumper are upright to the front of the car where as the stainless steel over rider in the foreground is leaning backwards in its profile.
IMG_7439 (2).JPG
IMG_7439 (2).JPG (690.17 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
On the rear bumper my car is furthest away and the angle is reversed in that the original bumper in the foreground is leaning forwards but the stainless steel bumper is upright.
IMG_7440 (2).JPG
IMG_7440 (2).JPG (788.73 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
I now realise that this is a mistake by the Harrington Group and as they are still supplying the bumpers to other S Type owners I thought it best to contact them and to get a new correct set of over riders from them.
Today I had an email from them and they agree it was their mistake and they will supply me with a correct set of over riders but there is a small problem. I supplied them with a complete set of front and rear bumpers back in 2014 which they could copy. This was a front bumper with two over riders and a rear bumper with two over riders. Although they have kept the actual bumpers as formers they have only kept one over rider which is for the front bumper and it is from this that they make all their over riders.
In order to correct their mistake I need to supply them with a front and rear over rider that they can copy again. I have a spare front over rider but need a single rear over rider which is straight and has the two mounts welded inside for the two bolt fittings. Getting old over riders off is a nightmare as the bolts rust in place but it would not be a problem if the heads of the bolts were cut off or snapped whilst removing as long as the over ride is straight.
Does anyone have a spare rear over rider lying around or an old rear bumper with over riders attached and can cut one out for me please.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
jonesdl

Re: Rear Bumper over rider.

Post by jonesdl »

Rob. I will try to have a look tomorrow in the other garage, I was given a box of old bits & pieces with my S Type I believe there are over riders in there but not sure if front or rear. The rear will have two holes in going by your thread.
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

That's right Dave the rear over rider has two bolts holding it in place.

In the picture the left one is for the rear and the right one is for the front.

Thanks for looking and lets hope you have one spare rear and not a box full of fronts.
Attachments
IMG_8455.JPG
IMG_8455.JPG (2.79 MiB) Viewed 2413 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Hi Rob, I have found a rear over rider in a box of S Type parts it's intact rusty inside but is sound the cut off bolt removed from the bumper is loose in the bracket. I have an email address for you at Blueyonder.co.uk is that still live, if so I will send some photo's through and not jamb up this thread up anymore. If it will do the job I think Hermes is the cheapest way for me to send it to you in Devon.
Regards
Dave J.
Dave J.
2000 BMW R1100s
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Rob, I noticed your over riders a long while back but decided to let sleeping & happy dogs lie. I'm here to try & help & not to criticise people's cars.

Just be careful. There are LHS & RHS over riders for both back & front. i.e. 4 different over riders on the car with different part numbers.

Rob Over riders front.PNG
Rob Over riders front.PNG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Rob over riders.PNG
Rob over riders.PNG (31.49 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

jonesdl wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 am Hi Rob, I have found a rear over rider in a box of S Type parts it's intact rusty inside but is sound the cut off bolt removed from the bumper is loose in the bracket. I have an email address for you at Blueyonder.co.uk is that still live, if so I will send some photo's through and not jamb up this thread up anymore. If it will do the job I think Hermes is the cheapest way for me to send it to you in Devon.
Regards
Dave J.
Thanks Dave that Email address is correct.

This is the problem when you outsource work Glyn. I thought they would copy the bumpers I sent them as they insisted on complete intact and straight bumpers that they could copy. I sent them my spare set and when the new set arrived I never thought to compare the new with the old and gave the bumpers off my car to a friend who needed the over riders for his Alvis. (same basic design) I did not notice that there were four part numbers for the over riders although the difference between a left and right would have to be very small and it could only be the cut out that would be different. Still we live and learn and I will get the correct over riders made eventually.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Understood Rob. If you try & swap LHS for RHS etc. they don't fit properly & sit at the wrong angle.
A1B56966DN
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Rob. I didn't realise until reading Glyn's reply that there are four different over riders for front & back. Are the part numbers on the over rider or do you just do a comparison when fitting to the bumper for best fit when secondhand.
With that in mind Rob what side over rider did you want for the rear, as I have another box of old parts a friend gave me in the loft of the garage that has bumper bits in i believe he sold his S Type much to his regret 10 years ago now.
Regards
Dave J.
Dave J.
2000 BMW R1100s
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Dave. I rechromed my over riders twice due to defects (dirt) in the chrome. I cut out & re welded the webs to clean up & replace the rusted caged nuts with new & plated. There are no part numbers anywhere. Fit by comparison. Correct setback & direction forwards & rearwards.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Dave I really need both sides now that Glyn has pointed the part numbers out. I have both front overriders on a spare bumper I have so I need both rears it appears. Presumably if you have an overrider in your hand you could offer it up to your back bumper and judge if it is the left or the right and if you could find both that would be fantastic.
The stainless steel overriders I have were made to fit the S/S bumper so they do sit snug and sit straight front to rear although obviously not correctly in that the fronts should go on the back and the backs on the front.
If I can find a pair of rear overriders, left and right, then I can eventually get them copied by the Harrington Group. They after all want to sell these bumpers to S Type owners and want them to be correct otherwise there will be complaints and no sales.
Thanks for looking Dave and I await your find and EMail.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 209 visits

JohnW (4), Reimbold (1), Albion (8), Norton (2), MDLV (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (19), Treetrimmer (5), Harv (3), johnthejagman (1), abbirkin (4), User avatar Glyn Ruck (62), User avatar John Quilter (19), User avatar Tom Hoffman (2), User avatar cass3958 (38), RollyTG (1), jonesdl (27), DevilDog (4), User avatar NigelW (3), User avatar David Reilly (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (3)