Numbers matching...well.. ALMOST...

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Damagecontrol87

Numbers matching...well.. ALMOST...

Post by Damagecontrol87 »

Recently acquired a '65 3.8s. Having an upcoming need for a 4 door daily driver, I could've easily purchased something running... driving... one color.... Instead, I bought this... A 52K mile barn-find, in near-orphan state, previously "restored(somewhat poorly --cosmetically-- Bondo... Bondo... Bondo...)" Jag with its most recent inspection sticker dated to expire in 1989... Even after learning that it's most recent previous owner --despite purchasing an early-print, genuine-Bentley Publishing service manual-- failed to realize that positive ground electrical was a thing...

I'd like to think I live my life under a "why not, I've only got one trip around this thing we call life" attitude... Others may surmise that perhaps I may have a mental illness... I digress...

Upon going over the details of my questionable life choice.....it seems that all the numbers match.... All except one anomaly... The data tag reads the engine number as "7B56487-9".... However the head clearly displays "7D56487-9".....

So, fellow enthusiasts... is it typical to find such a mis-stamp? Is there even such a thing as a "D-type" head? Or am I missing some form of information/education/common knowledge on these unique cars?

Hoping to learn something in the few days leading up to a RockAuto Christmas of ignition parts, while I comb through the unmistakably pleasant aromas of 1800's Church pew with a shop vac. Thank you all in advance.

Sincerely,
Fellow student (back of class with a hot coffee).
'65 "Orpahaned" 3.8S LHD
cass3958

Re: Numbers matching...well.. ALMOST...

Post by cass3958 »

The S Type engine was certainly prefixed with 7B. The engine number is often on early cars stamped twice on the engine. On the head behind the front valley but heads can be changed and the second place is on the side of the block above the oil filter housing. (see photo). My 1967 does not have the engine number on the head.

Engine number 7B 56487-9 Should relate to a 1965 S Type. 7B was just for the S Type engine. The final suffix -9 donates it is a 9:1 compression ratio which would suggest it is a LHD American export vehicle but if you gave me the chassis number I might be able to pin it down more.

An engine with 7D would relate to a 4.2 engine from a Mk10 or 420G. To check what CC your block is look on the right side of the engine just behind the distributor and it will be embossed on the block either 3 1/2 litre. 3.8 litre or 4.2 litre. (see photo).

The VIN plate can be changed to read what ever numbers you want as they are readily available to buy, stamp and rivet on to the bulkhead in place of the original. I am not sure a 4.2 head would fit on the 3.8 block as the water ways might not line up. The 4.2 had a different inlet manifold with triple carbs.

The best way to check your numbers are correct would be to apply for an Heritage Certificate from Jaguar Heritage. https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archive- ... tificates/ This will give you all the original numbers, colours and first owner in some cases or at least where it was distributed.
Engine number on top of oil filter housing
Engine number on top of oil filter housing
DSCF6980.JPG (5.93 MiB) Viewed 677 times
Engine number stamp.
Engine number stamp.
Engine number location.JPG (791.85 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Side of engine 3 1/2 litre
Side of engine 3 1/2 litre
DSCF6979.JPG (6.04 MiB) Viewed 677 times
Location of head stamped engine number not present on this engine.
Location of head stamped engine number not present on this engine.
DSCF6951.JPG (5.91 MiB) Viewed 677 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Damagecontrol87

Thank you, Cass.

So the plot thickens... Casting on the block says 3.8 Litre, and the block is stamped with the same 7B56487-9... after cleaning and scrubbing, the head clearly states 7D56487-9, and there is evidence of the "light blue" paint (4.2 if memory serves correct) rather than the dark blue (3.8... again if memory serves correct).

Chassis number is P1B77659BW (found in a few places besides the data tag), which lines up correctly with the 65 LHD export with Power steering and the BW auto.

Being that all else lines up... Leads me to believe a mis-stamp on the head with possibility of previous headwork where it may have been painted incorrectly. Can't think of any other logical reason that numbers match but series designation seems off.
'65 "Orpahaned" 3.8S LHD
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I think you are right a mis stamped letter D rather than a B on the head as the numbers all match up. A well placed B stamp should cure the problem. As for the engine head colour I would dis regard that as anyone could have painted it any colour in the past. I started out with mine plain silver until I found the correct Duck Egg Blue paint for my 3.4.
The only other thing it might be is a change of head that did not have a number stamped on it like mine. Maybe a straight port head from a 2.4 and they have then stamped the number in the valley but mis stamped the D instead of the B.
In the UK we are not as anal about matching number cars as our cousins from across the pond. My BW35 gear box was changed before my ownership so the number on the side of the gearbox does not match that which is on the VIN plate but to actually see the number on the side of the gearbox you have to shove a camera phone up the side between the chassis rail and gearbox and take a photo just to get a look at it.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Damagecontrol87

Make no mistake, in no way am I worried about numbers matching. Just attempting to dial in what I have in the driveway for parts acquisition purposes/build sheet records... When I purchased it, the sole intent was to have a daily driven "ratrod... functionally sound, but cosmetically... well... odd...So it only gets more tragic from here...
'65 "Orpahaned" 3.8S LHD
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Welcome. Sounds very interesting. Good luck with it.
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 23 visits

User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar John Quilter (5), RollyTG (1), minimeadow (3), Damagecontrol87 (8)