Inboard Rear Calipers

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
dennis

Inboard Rear Calipers

Post by dennis »

HI,
I have removed the two Dunlop inboard rear brake calipers from my 1968 S Type as they were locking and finding it very difficult to find replacements or anyone to refurbish them. That is at a reasonable cost. I have been quoted £1300 to refurbish the two. Someone has suggested to me that it might be possible to fit the XJ Girling calipers. Would any body know if this is possible ? impossible ? or possible with some modifications ?
Any help in this direction would be very gratefully received
Dennis
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
cass3958

Re: Inboard Rear Calipers

Post by cass3958 »

Dennis I have never done this myself but something I would consider if it was possible. The IRS system on the back of the S Type should be compatible with the IRS system in the back of the 420 and XJ6 both of which I believe have better brakes than the S Type so I have been told. What is better though? Is it larger discs, two three or four pot callipers, vented disc? Not sure as I have never delved into the back of an XJ6. The 420 had better brakes on the front with three pot callipers so perhaps the back brakes were upgraded as well.
Hopefully someone who has more knowledge will come up with the correct answer.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
dennis

Post by dennis »

Hi Cass,
After a lot of investigation I thought that it would be interesting to note that I found a SERIES 1 XJ6 pair of rear brake calipers are a direct replacement for my 1968 S type old Dunlop calipers.
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Is there any difference between a series one and any other XJ6 set up. Do the XJS callipers fit and can you fit vented discs with the series one or do they have to remain standard.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
NigelW

Post by NigelW »

If you can't find any S Type calipers have a look at Zeus brakes
https://www.zeus.uk.com/product-categor ... s-jaguars/
that are a direct replacement at a reasonable price compared to having original one rebuilt. Be careful of "over braking" the rear brakes as the balance could be upset resulting in the rears locking up before the fronts bite as the fronts do most of the work. If you find any larger vented discs and calipers that fit (not sure there are) make sure the fronts are uprated appropriately. A larger capacity master cylinder may be on the cards as well.
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2023 Skoda Karoq

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 22 visits

philippe (1), RollyTG (1), User avatar John Quilter (3), Treetrimmer (3), User avatar cass3958 (5), minimeadow (3), User avatar NigelW (2), dennis (3), Robbo911 (1)