Engine out

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
muzza49

Engine out

Post by muzza49 »

Numerous factors point to an engine removal for me - low oil pressure, strange noises etc.
Suspicion is there is a problem with main and/or crankshaft bearings.
Questions:
1. I assume removal is out the top, via an engine hoist ?
2. Is it easier to remove both the engine & gearbox as one ? or just the engine ?
Thanks.
cass3958

Re: Engine out

Post by cass3958 »

The engine can be taken out from above or below. Above needs a strong engine hoist and lots of head room. Taken out below requires a hoist lift to lift the car body off the engine but you have to drop the front subframe.
The manual suggests out the top but when they were built the engines were on a conveyer and the body shell was lowered down over the top, then the front subframe was added.
With both methods the gear box comes out with the engine only because getting to the top bolts connecting the bell housing to the back of the engine block are impossible to get to without pulling the engine forward and if you are doing that then you have already disconnected the gear box mounts and prop shaft.
You need some height to get the engine out either way. I pulled mine out of the top and then lowered it after the new paint work gingerly back into the engine bay with the gearbox attached. The gearbox has to be lowered down into the engine bay as you push the engine towards the screen so I used this device which is an engine leveller cradle.
Engine leveller.jpg
Engine leveller.jpg (218.8 KiB) Viewed 524 times
DSCF7621 (2).JPG
DSCF7621 (2).JPG (559.9 KiB) Viewed 524 times
They are only £25 on Ebay but well worth the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313829789206 ... R4iE59nIYg

If you don't have the height you can always drop the front subframe then set the body on lowered axle stands. Once the engine is roughly in place you then jack the body up to meet the engine. It is quite daunting lifting what appears to be a couple of tons of Jaguar engine and gearbox up over the front of your newly painted body work so make sure you have the right lifting gear, a flat smooth floor to push the engine crane over and a friend to help direct the back of the gear box whilst you operate the crane. The floor I had was very lumpy and difficult to manoeuvre the crane over so I lifted the engine and gear box up on basically a static crane then rolled the car under the engine before lowering it down.
I did not take many photos of the installation as when the engine was up in the air I did not want to stand back and waste time taking photos.
Hope this helps.
DSCF7618.JPG
DSCF7618.JPG (5.84 MiB) Viewed 524 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

Well for what it's worth, a few years ago my local British car shop, who have lots of experience with Jaguar sedans and others, removed the engine out the bottom. Of course they have a lift and lots of other equipment. They rolled the subframe with tires attached out from under the car, removed the carbs, pulled the exhaust manifolds back against the fender and dropped the engine out the bottom. I visited the shop the day after I drove the car there and the complete engine, gearbox and overdrive were out and on a rolling platform. Not even sure if they removed the radiator, which I did later for flushing, when they returned the car to my garage for the duration of the engine overhaul. I suppose if one was just doing clutch, gearbox or rear core plug work it could be lowered enough for bellhousing bolt access and core plug access without carb removal.
Attachments
Engine right 3-23-20.JPG
Engine right 3-23-20.JPG (285.15 KiB) Viewed 520 times
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Ideally out the bottom would have been my choice but as you said John you need a suitable car hoist possibly a two poster to be able to lower the car on to its wheels to get the subframe out of the way then lower it again so the engine sits on a platform with wheels before lifting the whole car body off the engine and gearbox. Without the use of a two post lift then out the top is really the only practical option.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

These are the kind of jobs I leave to the professionals who have a shop and thousands of dollars of equipment and tools not to mention the patience to do this heavy work. That's what the check book or credit card are for.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
muzza49

Post by muzza49 »

Thanks all, out the top it is with gearbox attached.
I've lifted motors out of a "parts" S and a 420 and it was pretty scary with all that weight up in the air !.
But it has to be done and I have the time and a couple of capable mates !.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 35 visits

Norton (2), Treetrimmer (2), muzza49 (13), User avatar NigelW (1), Robbo911 (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), HG_S-type (1), User avatar John Quilter (5), Rogerisleofman (1), User avatar cass3958 (5), minimeadow (3)