Oil Pressure sender.

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
cass3958

Oil Pressure sender.

Post by cass3958 »

A bit disconcerting but recently I had a massive drop in oil pressure. From a normal running PSI of around 40 it dropped to below 20 at 3000 rpm and whilst sat at traffic lights it dropped from a normal 20 to zero.
Zero Oil pressure at tick over
Zero Oil pressure at tick over
IMG_1224.jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 622 times
20 psi Oil pressure at 3000 rpm
20 psi Oil pressure at 3000 rpm
IMG_1226.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Now I checked by looking in the oil cap that I had oil at the top of the engine on tick over so I was not that concerned. I had no oil leaks so it had to be either the gauge, sender or something blocking the pressure relief valve.
Last week I bit the bullet and got under the car and removed the oil filter housing from the side of the engine. Not a difficult job other than access to the five ½ bolts. Once the bolts were out (you have to leave the bottom front bolt in situ as it fouls on the steering box) a screw driver to release the jubilee clip on the bypass hose and the housing slides out. On the bench the housing was checked, the pressure release valve was stripped and cleaned and there was nothing obviously wrong with it.
Oil filter housing. Screw on oil filter modification.
Oil filter housing. Screw on oil filter modification.
IMG_1199.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Oil pressure relief valve stripped
Oil pressure relief valve stripped
IMG_1194.jpg (4.63 MiB) Viewed 622 times
The housing was refitted (not forgetting to insert the lower front bolt first before offering it up) and everything tightened. Checked the oil pressure and it was still showing no pressure.
OK next was the oil pressure sender. Not a cheap part as they are nearly £90 at SNG which is why I went for the pressure release valve first, but I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. It arrived today and although again it is difficult to get to, an 18mm spanner with one arm down the front of the carbs and the other down the back and I was able to release the old and fit the new. Started up the engine and Hey Presto, oil pressure back up to 20 on tick over and 40 at 3000 rpm.
20 psi Oil pressure at tick over
20 psi Oil pressure at tick over
IMG_1230.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 622 times
40 plus psi Oil pressure at 3000 rpm
40 plus psi Oil pressure at 3000 rpm
IMG_1228.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Re: Oil Pressure sender.

Post by Orlando St.R »

They are ludicrously unreliable. I must be on about my fourth in 10 years. One I fitted didn't even work properly from the outset. Another one leaked. And, like you say, Rob, this is not a cheap part to buy.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Barratts inform me that the latest version is considerably better & more reliable. We shall see. :roll:
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I have just managed to pickup a spare off EBay. £30 still in its original box and packing from SNG. Yes I know I have now spent £120 on two but as they are unreliable at least I will have one ready if the one I have just fitted fails in the next couple of years. Now put away in my box of bits I will not sell. Unfortunately when I am gone my wife will either give the spares away with the car when she sells it or throw them away not knowing their value. I possibly have more value in spares than my car is worth but they mean nothing to Maria.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Wise buy!! I keep a spare at the tip of Africa. It's like my overblown collection of fog light sealed beams. Not for sale. Many new.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

If you think they are bad on our XK engines you should hear the complaints with them on XJ40 cars and they are a total PITA to change on those.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Rogerisleofman

Post by Rogerisleofman »

Must be the time of year for it! Mine did exactly the same thing last month. I bit the bullet on replacing with a capillary gauge and haven't looked back. The only slight problem was that the length of the rigid connector pipe on the gauge end mean't I couldn't close the centre panel quite vertically. Bought an on-line 1/8" BSP elbow fitting and that problem was solved too. And I get an exact reading, not an estimate.

My thinking was better to spend £180 once than repeatedly faff around buying dodgy electrical senders and struggling to fit same.

My tuppence.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 34 visits

User avatar John Quilter (4), User avatar cass3958 (7), minimeadow (4), LOUPB (1), Treetrimmer (4), User avatar Orlando St.R (3), Rogerisleofman (2), HG_S-type (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (7), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1)