My new project - an unrestored 1965 3.8S automatic

Stories and photo's about "S"-Types you know or own
minimeadow

My new project - an unrestored 1965 3.8S automatic

Post by minimeadow »

Hello everyone,

I bought this car on Facebook Marketplace in March, and I'm gradually trying to get it running again. This will be a challenging project for me. My prior old car experience is with a 1973 Super Beetle, a model for which parts and advice are plentiful, and that's fairly simple to work on. I've spent the last two months reading everything I can about S Types and preparing myself for the journey. I stumbled on this forum, and it's been a wealth of information. Thank you all for posting your stories. Here is what I know about the car from the documentation that came with it:

1. It is an early 1965 model and seems to have been originally purchased in Los Angeles - the first maintenance records are from Jaguar Service Inc, 1717 North Orange Drive in Hollywood, starting with a 1000 mile service on October 21, 1964.

2. Sometime in the 1990s the car made its way to Atlanta GA, where I am now. I bought the car from a gentleman who bought it at an Estate sale. It doesn't seem to have been running in quite a long time.

The Good:
- The body is very clean and nearly rust free. The only exception is the fender/wing in front of the rear wheels. The right side seems to have been repaired with bondo at some point - I poked at it with a screwdriver and there are a few small holes, but this seems confined to a small area. The left side may be similar.

- The car seems very complete, with few or no missing parts. The trim pieces from around the license plate were in the trunk. I haven't discovered anything else that's entirely missing.

- It also seems very original, never having been restored.

- The engine spins, and the oil looks okay.

The Bad:
- The interior looks like it was baked in the sun for a long time. The leather is torn and held together with packing tape, the foam is crumbly, and the finish on the wood is very rough.
- The paint is original but in very bad shape. I think the original color was Golden Sand, but it's turned to a matte grayish silver except in places like the door sills and trunk, where it actually looks okay, and approximately the original color.
- Brakes don't work at all, and the rotors are very rusty.

Steps forward and back:
Soon after I got it home I put a battery in, put some fresh gas in the carburetor, and gave it a squirt of starting fluid. The starter would spin but the car wouldn't start. Based on that, I installed new points and attempted to gap them properly. Now when I spin it I can create a spark between the coil output wire and the engine block. I have a new rotor and distributor cap that will go on shortly.

Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the starter button would no longer actuate the starter, although I can still bump it by pushing the button on the solenoid. I'm keeping the battery charged with a charger, so it's not that. With a voltmeter I see that the push button on the dash is working. I bought a new solenoid and will see if that helps. My other theory is that the inhibitor switch for the automatic transmission is not working correctly. Even when the starter spins, it seems a little wheezy, and I suspect that an upgrade to new geared starter may be in its future.

My plans:
First, I want to get the engine running. Once I get the starter and spark sorted out I'll move to the carburetors. Then brakes. If/when the car runs and stops I'll drive it around the block to see what else is wrong with it and make an evaluation of next steps. I'm sensitive to the fact that a restoration can be quite expensive, but if the engine and transmission work, then I'm more comfortable moving on to the paint and interior.

I suspect I will be reaching out for advice - thank you all in advance for your help!

Scott

IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg (4.94 MiB) Viewed 1458 times
cass3958

Re: My new project - an unrestored 1965 3.8S automatic

Post by cass3958 »

Welcome to the forum and a nice looking project. The expensive bit is always rectifying rusty body parts and panels so if this is as rust free as you say then you could have a good one.
If you come across a problem there are many on here who will try and help with advice and if you add you location into your details you never know there might be someone around the corner who could even give you a hand.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Welcome ~ Nice project.

Just shout for any assistance/guidance.

Lot's of collective experience here.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
jerry_hoback

Post by jerry_hoback »

Welcome Scott,
Its good to see another being resuscitated.
Jerry
66 3.8s #77903, 66000 miles
92 Sovereign #655170, 185000 miles
94 xj6 #698800, 157000 miles
04 xj8 #G31309, 75000 miles
90 xjs #166230, 62000 miles
64 3.4S #1B1644DN, about 75000 miles
01 Dodge 2500 diesel, #804385, 111000 miles, bought new
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

minimeadow Scott, you might want to update your profile and signon info to show your location on the globe so it will display on all of your future posts on this interesting project.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Tom Hoffman
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hoffman »

I agree with you John...but to his credit he mentioned " Atlanta GA, where I am now".
Tom Hoffman
Webmaster

#1B53255DN
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Welcome Scott. Your project story sounds very similar to mine. It will probably be as exciting in finding out all the unexpected things that previous owners have done to it. I sent my carburetors to Joe Curto in NY to be refurbished. When I got them back I put them on, connected up the fuel lines and it fired up straight away. Plenty of great helpers on here. Good luck. I am over the border in Columbia, SC. If you are over this way drop me a message and maybe we can compare notes,
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.
minimeadow

Post by minimeadow »

Thanks to all for acknowledgments and generous offers of help and advice! Progress has been slow due to work and other commitments, but I hope to either get the engine running soon or at least to have narrowed down the list of reasons it won't start. I'm sure I"ll be coming back with more questions soon. Best, Scott
minimeadow

Post by minimeadow »

Got it started ...

Since May:

Installed a new gear starter. As many have noted, getting the old starter out and getting a new one in was a major project, with some missteps along the way.

New distributor cap, and several attempts to set the point gap correctly. Cranked but didn't start.

Re-terminated several of the plug wires that looked bad (still using the old copper wires). Cranked but didn't start.

New spark plugs installed today. I used an inline spark plug tester to confirm all six cylinders were getting spark.

The fuel system isn't hooked up - I've been using a squeeze bottle to get gas into the carbs.

With the new plugs it cranked and seemed to almost want to start. Finally this evening I disconnected the return spring and flapped the throttle open and closed a few times, then gave it a squirt of starter fluid. Pushed the button on the end of the solenoid, and it fired up and ran for about five seconds! It also filled the garage with smoke, presumably the un-combusted fuel from my multiple failed attempts. I'm letting the garage air out as I type this.

So, some progress. I haven't touched the carbs yet, but may tackle that next, along with the brakes. : )
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

Scott, My later 1964 production MOD 3.8S VIN 76415 was dispatched from the factory on November 5, 1964 so you may be able to roughly determine when yours was made. West coast cars (unless they are within a half mile of the ocean) are almost always rust free which is a bonus. The California and southwest sun as you note, took a toll on the leather and woodwork unless continually garaged. The 1717 N. Orange Drive was the Charles Hornburg service and parts department in a multi story building just off Hollywood Blvd and a half block from the famous Chinese Theater. In my work with Jaguar Land Rover North America I visited that service department many, many times. Charles Hornburg was the west coast distributor for Jaguar for many decades appointing many retail dealers in addition to his own in the LA market. Good luck bringing your S Type back to good operating condition. Always good to see another one saved.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 95 visits

HG_S-type (4), elkroadgarage (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (4), User avatar Tom Hoffman (6), User avatar John Quilter (14), Rogerisleofman (8), User avatar cass3958 (10), Treetrimmer (7), minimeadow (26), abbirkin (1), TimD (1), Robbo911 (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (3), RollyTG (2), jerry_hoback (4), User avatar Glyn Ruck (3)