Fan Belt will not fit

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Eddielopez!

Fan Belt will not fit

Post by Eddielopez! »

My 1965 3.8s has me in a dilemma. Recently the fan belt broke. I ordered a replacement from SNG Barratt. It was too short by 2 or 3 inches. My mechanic is aware of the generator adjustment and the pulley both have been pulled or slid as far as they can go.
Original belt that broke was a c19525c
I bought a new replacement from SNG. My mechanic ended up cutting off It off when he could not get it on or off. It got stuck while trying to put it on.
So I talked to SNG and then I bought another one from SNG thinking the first one was just a short fluke. My old belt was about an inch longer than the one that SNG sells so my mechanic tried again and still he could not get it on.

Today I spoke to Welsh enterprises. They have a belt that is for “other jags” and we just compared belts by pictures. They have a belt that’s two inches longer And the groove appears to be the same. We are going to try that fan belt.
Has anyone encountered this problem. What are my options? What are we missing?
Welsh parts tells me that they have heard from other customers that the belts are too short on many of these reproductive belts.
cass3958

Re: Fan Belt will not fit

Post by cass3958 »

I bought a new one during my rebuild 5 years a go and did not have a problem. I have a spare in the boot as a just in case which I bought last year. I have never offered this up to the car but I will tomorrow to see if it fits or looks like it might fit.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I got a belt from Barratt's a couple of years back while the car was under restoration & the fit was fine. Strange!
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Treetrimmer

Post by Treetrimmer »

I bought a belt from Barratts only a couple of months ago, and it fitted fine. I totally disconnected the "sliding link" to enable the Dynamo to get that much closer to the engine block, and had a nice curved ( obstruction) ring spanner to assist slackening the two Dynamo swivel bolts.
Good luck!
Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
ButtercupS1967

Post by ButtercupS1967 »

This is an old subject, but I've just encountered similar problems and have found an ideal solution. The fan belt I purchased, C19525, was from Moss
Motors. It is just too short, no matter the effort or method of installation. The belt that works is C24291X, available from Terry's Jaguar Parts, and said to be for the E-Type Series 2. It is the correct groove configuration; however, it has the disadvantage of being a bit too long for the generator adjusting link. A perfect fit for the adjusting link, using the C24291X belt, is Moss Motors part 433-650, which is listed as fitting MG TC, TD, or TF. It is long enough in the slot, the mounting hole is exactly the right size, and it is bent so that the generator mates to it without using excess washers for gap filling.

1967 3.8S P1B79371DN
1993 XJRS Asprey Plate No. 93-042
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I was just re reading this thread again and it occurred to me that perhaps in the cases where the belt does not fit that maybe a previous owner has replaced the pulley on the generator for a larger one. (No particular reason why you would go bigger.) I have replaced my original Generator with a Dynalite alternator but I used the original pulley set up. I have been thinking of changing the pulley to a smaller one to drive the Dynalite at a quicker pace and in turn the power steering pump so it creates more PSI when at tick over. If I did I might have to look for a smaller belt but I am sure there is enough adjustment to cope with this.
Just a thought.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I have got all my belts from Barratts under the listed part number & they fit fine.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 35 visits

User avatar Orlando St.R (2), RollyTG (2), User avatar David Reilly (3), Robbo911 (1), IanMac (1), abbirkin (1), Rogerisleofman (1), Treetrimmer (5), User avatar John Quilter (2), User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar Glyn Ruck (2), ButtercupS1967 (6), jerry_hoback (1), Eddielopez! (2)