‘Clanking’ wire wheels

Stories and photo's about "S"-Types you know or own
abbirkin

‘Clanking’ wire wheels

Post by abbirkin »

Some time ago, when turning on full right hand lock, I was experiencing quite a loud clicking/clanking noise from the front nearside wire wheel.
This got progressively worse and was sounding when ever I turned right. I checked the tightness of the spinner but eventually decided it must be the wheel bearing. When the bearing was changed, the clanking was still there (not quite as much, but I had obviously disturbed the wheel, see later).
I finally solved the problem by cleaning the grease from both the surface of the wheel and the curved surface of the hub, then re-applying a very thin covering.
There must have been a piece of fine grit stopping the surfaces completely matting together, enhanced by the pressure of turning right, but the noise it made was frightening and caused by something so simple.
Wonder if anyone has experienced this?
Barrie Birkin
Jaguars currently owned: 1965 S type 3.8; 2019 XJ 3.0D Portfolio
cass3958

Re: ‘Clanking’ wire wheels

Post by cass3958 »

Not on my S Type which also has wire wheels but my mate has a 1953 Alvis TA21 with the same fitment of wire wheels. He had a clanking on the rears
when he bought the car. What he finally found was that the previous owner had replaced the screw which held the brake drum (drum brakes all round) in place. The replacement screw was a domed head instead of a counter sunk head and so the wheel was not sitting correctly. Same principle but this one was mechanics error.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Noise from wires can also be caused by worn splines from over tightening spinners & stretching hub threads. Read the documents on the MWS (Motor Wheel Service) site. Spinners should be tapped on with the hide side of the Thor hammer & then allowed to self tighten.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Another cause of a clanking sound could be a loose spoke or two. Not noticeable to the eye or feel but when pressure is put on to the turning wheel the spokes can move and jump causing a noise. You can check for loose spokes by tapping each spoke with the blade of a screw driver. Each spoke should have the same tone when struck. Any loose spokes with sound dull in comparison. You can tighten any loose spoke yourself but this may cause the wheel to run out of true so best to send them to a wheelwright to have them reset and balanced.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
abbirkin

Post by abbirkin »

Thank you for your interesting comments. The wheels are fairly new, so didn’t suspect the spokes.

I don’t think some people realise the intense strain on wire wheels, especially when cornering. I had a scare on my old set. I had taken a wheel off and noticed a spoke had snapped at the rivet head (this straight after a MOT) and wasn’t too concerned at the time, thinking there’s another 71(?) left.
However, a few weeks later, I again removed the wheel and found several more spokes had snapped making me wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t spotted this. Hence a new set of wheels!
Barrie Birkin
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Had your old wheels been re-chromed at some time? Hydrogen embrittlement of re-chromed steel spokes is a well known issue.
A1B56966DN
abbirkin

Post by abbirkin »

Don’t think so Glyn. My ‘new’ wheels were from a friend who had bought them for his E type a few years back but never used them; they still had the preservative on which took ages to remove. So I have every confidence in this current set. At least I know what to look for if it ever happens again - first and only time in 35 years!
Barrie Birkin
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Sounds good!
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 39 visits

User avatar Orlando St.R (1), Fredomusicman (3), Harv63 (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (1), Rogerisleofman (3), Treetrimmer (5), User avatar John Quilter (3), User avatar cass3958 (8), User avatar Glyn Ruck (6), abbirkin (7), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1)