Distributor issue ???

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
muzza49

Distributor issue ???

Post by muzza49 »

Whilst out for a Sunday drive, my S suddenly lost power. At first I thought it was a fuel problem, having checked all leads to dizzy, coil etc.
Trip home on the back of a tow truck ! Called the local Auto Club and mechanic called out to view the car.
A bit of info, which may or may not be relevant - I recently had electronic ignition fitted, new coil, old dizzy, rotor & cap.
So, I have power to the coil and the dizzy cap, BUT no power to the spark plug leads. Yes, I did ensure that they had a good fit to the cap.
The mechanic thinks it may possibly be a "short" down the rotor spindle.
I pulled the rotor off, after a bit of a tussle (rust !) gave it a clean and also the points in the cap.
Still no go !.
Do you think I'm looking at a new dizzy ???
Thanks....
Glyn Ruck

Re: Distributor issue ???

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Is the centre brush in your distributor cap making contact with the rotor? Seems not. The spring behind it might also have given up or the "brush" is simply worn out. They cost about $11 because no one wants to make them any longer. I would just buy a new distributor cap. Cost between $15 & $50 depending on whose name you want on the thing. Most come out of the same plant. Comes with new brush & spring. You are losing spark between the coil/distributor cap centre & the rotor.

Distributor Brush.JPG
Distributor Brush.JPG (19.2 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

You say you have had electronic ignition fitted but you stated "OLD DIZZY". Is you distributor old as in fitted with points and condenser or is it an old electronic distributor with a module in place of the points.
If it is the latter it could be the module that has failed. This happened to me several years ago when I had a positive earth electronic distributor on the car. The module failed and it was just as cheap to buy a complete Neg earth electronic distributor and change the cars polarity than to buy a Positive module replacement.
No brainer to me so new Neg earth distributor bought and fitted and the car changed to Neg earth.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

I hope you are using the uprated red distributor rotor available from Moss or the Distributor Doctor. The older after market black ones do short out suddenly from the contact arm rivet to the clip that holds it to the distributor cam and leave you stranded. I had two instances of failures of the black one before I learned of this common issue.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

This is the correct rotor. No stud. Ultrasonic welded well away from the distributor shaft. Distributor Doctor red Rotors are also OK. Direct copy of the real thing. Excuse/ignore my decision to move away from points. I hate the damn things & setting dwell angle. Pertronix unit available both Positive & Negative earth.

IMG_20180205_200304 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20180205_200304 - Copy.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 697 times

Original Lucas.
Rotor NOS Lucas.JPG
Rotor NOS Lucas.JPG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 695 times
A1B56966DN
muzza49

Post by muzza49 »

Thanks for all the comments.
New cap ordered and managed to source the red Bosch rotor for $2.00 (clearance sale), so ordered 2, must be the Scottish in me !!
Fingers crossed that this will fix my issue - if not I may be back with further questions.
Cheers.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Just make sure that it is the correct rotor for a Lucas distributor cap or it will either smash the cap or have too large a gap to jump to the cap contacts.

I always thought that this had been standardised in the industry until I learnt to my cost this was not so & destroyed a cap on one of my Alfa's as a kid.
This might now have been standardised in the intervening time & my comment outdated.

And reset the timing after fitting.

Please insert your location ~ this is a global forum & it makes life so much easier for all.
A1B56966DN
muzza49

Post by muzza49 »

New cap & rotor fitted and all good once again.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Good news. So it was the brush & spring in the center of the cap. Makes all the sense in the world.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 79 visits

minimeadow (2), IanMac (1), User avatar Corbs (1), gripper (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (1), User avatar John Quilter (5), Rogerisleofman (2), Treetrimmer (5), muzza49 (4), User avatar cass3958 (8), User avatar Glyn Ruck (47), RollyTG (1)