shroud assembly in scuttle ventilator

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
philippe

shroud assembly in scuttle ventilator

Post by philippe »

Dear all,
the shroud assembly (BD 27772) seems to be missing in the scuttle ventilator of my car. This is not on sale from the main parts retailers. I am seeking a sketch/picture of the part, and will welcome any help in sourcing one. Thanks in advance for your help!
Philippe
cass3958

Re: shroud assembly in scuttle ventilator

Post by cass3958 »

It took me a long time to work out what this part you are looking for actually is. I finally found the part number in the parts book and it is listed as;

"Shroud assembly in scuttle ventilator, preventing entry of water into heater box".

This shroud assembly sits over the two hinge arms under the scuttle flap. It rises and falls with the scuttle flap if I remember correctly. I can't remember how it is held in place but I do remember removing it when I stripped my car to pieces. When in place it actually stops you from getting to the hinge and oiling it. I personally do not have a spare one and I think the only place you will find one is on a car that is being broken.

I have had a look through my photos and cannot find a photo of this part and to get to it now would mean stripping the scuttle down. My be Glyn can help.

The 420 had the same set up as the S Type and has the same part number so finding a 420 that is being broken would possibly be easier than an S type.

It is not the same part number in the Mk2 as this is BD12487.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
philippe

Post by philippe »

Hi Rob,
many thanks for your response and the time you took to find information. The shroud would thus move together with the top flap and the gauze that is bolted under the flap.
I shall follow the 420 route as suggested.
Kind regards.
Philippe
philippe

Post by philippe »

Hi again Rob,
I believe we may be talking of different parts. The part that sits over the hinges is this one
20220205_120928-min.jpg
20220205_120928-min.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Opposite to it is the heater fan inlet. I would expect some conical or cylindrical piece of metal sheet to come against the fan inlet, preventing entry of rain water from above and funneling air into the fan. My car does not have such a part, and I expect rain water will easily get into the fan and the heater.
Kind regards.
Philippe
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

No there is nothing else only the part you have shown. The heater box has its own flap which is operated by the Hot/Cold lever in the car through the metal cable that attaches to the side of the heater box. You do find that the foam seals on this heater flap deteriorate to nothing so when I refurbished my heater box I replaced them with closed cell sticky back foam.
Any water that goes into the scuttle should drain away via the drain hole which we have talked about several times on the forum. It sticks out the face of the bulkhead and then there should be a rubber hose that allows the rain water to go down to ground at the side of the gearbox bellhousing.
Attached is a photo showing the drain hole. You will see that the area behind the heater where this drain hole is, is a lot lower than the hole that goes to the heater fan so unless the drain hole is blocked you should never get enough water in there to affect the heater.
Attachments
Heater Drain Hole.jpg
Heater Drain Hole.jpg (976.92 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 29 visits

davinius77 (1), Albion (1), Horse Power Junkie (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (2), jerry_hoback (1), Jagbhoy (1), User avatar John Quilter (2), Treetrimmer (3), User avatar cass3958 (5), philippe (8), HG_S-type (2), RollyTG (1)