MOD LHD car speedo cable

Distributor, coil, Generator, etc. and all electrical issues (including lighting, washers & wipers, & battery charging)
John Quilter

MOD LHD car speedo cable

Post by John Quilter »

I think it is time to replace my speedometer cable. Speedo is relatively steady at speeds over 30 MPH but between 0 and 20 MPH the needle jumps considerably. I would like to simply pull the inner cable out and have a duplicate made up by Nissonger Instruments (USA Smiths agents) or some other speedo service shop. I am uncertain on the exact length so using the existing one as a pattern is best. I assume it is possible to pull the inner cable out from the speedometer end, and have it duplicated. Assuming I can get my hands behind the instrument this is my plan.
1965 3.8S MOD, 1990 XJ6, 1960 Morris Minors X2, 1951 MGTD, 1969 Austin America
Norton

Re: MOD LHD car speedo cable

Post by Norton »

Hi. That should be possible. Have not done this on the S, but on an E type. But I did not renew the cable. Cleaned and lubricated it. And routed the cable in a better way. PO had routed it with a couple of fairly tight bends. Inner cable is very flexible so if it’s not mechanical damaged it will probably work ok. More likly that outer have been damaged. ( vibration, rubbing, squeezed etc ) On the E had to remove the speedometer to get access. And needle stopped winking.
Harald
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Yes, I have pulled the cable out from the speedo end, greased it and successfully reinstalled it. Obviously the trickiest bit is getting it back in the speedo drive on the gearbox. You just have to be careful with it and gently twist it until it slides in.

Mine is an automatic, though.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

Following up on my first post. I wanted to replace just the inner cable as in the past ( I have owned this cars for 56 years) that solved the fluctuating needle issue. Checking with Palo Alto Speedometer they wanted $85 to make up a new inner cable. Nissonger Instruments was out of operation for a month due to the hurricane. Then checked with Moss and they had the complete cable (96" long for a 1965 MOD car) for only $26.00. Bought that and removed the inner cable and fitted it to my car from the speedo end. Had to Dremel tool off about .12" of an inch for exact length. Fitted it with some white lithium grease and it is working perfectly. Most difficult part is getting my hand behind the speedo and reconnecting the cable
John Quilter

Post by John Quilter »

And I would add, my cable is routed from the angle drive at the gearbox, forward and UNDER the bellhousing then up along side the engine block to a large 180 degree bend in the vicinity of the PS reservoir to head toward the engine bulkhead and through that to the speedo. This may not be stock but it permits the least bends in this very long cable that is used on an LHD car.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 28 visits

Norton (9), User avatar Orlando St.R (3), Treetrimmer (4), User avatar cass3958 (4), User avatar John Quilter (6), User avatar Glyn Ruck (1), RollyTG (1)