PAS pump removal

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
cass3958

Re: PAS pump removal

Post by cass3958 »

RollyTG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 pm They were in very bad condition and one of them separated as I was unbolting it. The left side mount was quite easy but right was really difficult, even after I removed the distributor. Not something I want to do again that's for sure.
As I said earlier one of mine separated and sent the engine fan through the back of the radiator so worth checking as changing as a service item every couple of years.
As for changing the mounts I did mine from under the car. Yes the bolts on the right side are hard to get to but once they were released I jacked the bottom of the engine up with a chunk of wood under the sump just far enough for the old mounts to be slid out and the new mounts to be slid in. The engine was lowered back on to the mounts with the bolts put in as locators and then tightened up with the full weight of the engine back on them. It sounds easy but then I do have a small hydraulic ramp so I can lift the car to about 1.5 meters which allows easy access to the underside of the car.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Next time will be easier given the learning experience. Some kind of lift arrangement is definitely in my future.
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
1974 MGB roadster, Dark garnet.
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

Final update on this job. It's done. Generator and PAS pump back in and both working. Two new engine mounts as a bonus. Following JCS's advice i had the generator mount nuts welded onto the bracket and was able to install the pump and generator as a unit, which made the job much easier. I also replaced the fan belt - another learning experience. Hopefully I will never have to do that by the roadside, at night, in the rain - or in bright sunshine for that matter. I really appreciate all the advice I am getting from the good folks on here. I am now ready to put the bonnet back on and start doing some proper test driving. There's even a car club meeting in two weeks that is close to home so the old girl might make her first public appearance. :D
1965 3.8S Automatic. Light blue, dark blue interior. J65P1B77162BW. Acquired 2019. Being refurbished. Now running and drivable, but not ready for prime time. :D
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Good to hear the progress report. Hope the old girl runs well for you when you attend the meet. Nothing happening here in the UK. All the the major classic car shows have been cancelled well in advance for this summer as we still don't know if Covid restrictions will be lifted in time. The weddings are starting to come in though and I have been out twice now with my car at weddings. Both sunny days and nice people so all good on that front.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
RollyTG

Post by RollyTG »

This will be our first indoor club event in over a year. We have had a few outdoor picnic gatherings to keep in touch. Virtually all of our club members are now fully vaccinated and local infections are way down so we are confident we can safely meet indoors and the restaurant has a separate room and early opening for us. It will be fun to do something "normal" again. Hope your good luck with the wedding weather continues.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 224 visits

Robbo911 (7), Rogerisleofman (4), HG_S-type (2), ButtercupS1967 (1), dennis (3), Fonzie (4), User avatar Norrena (10), User avatar Orlando St.R (13), User avatar Glyn Ruck (7), User avatar John Quilter (30), jonesdl (1), User avatar cass3958 (27), Treetrimmer (14), RollyTG (70), Euler (2), JCS (27), badger (1), maurizio ortodossi (1)