Then pesky doors

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
dennis

Then pesky doors

Post by dennis »

Hi everyone,
At long last the completion of my S Type restoration is, at least, in sight. One thing I have learnt during this bare metal restoration is - I should have said to the workshop when they completed the painting 'don't replace the doors I will do it later'. Replacing the interior trim and laying the new flooring/carpets is a lot easier with the doors off and almost essential for fitting the new door seals. When looking a couple of weeks ago at fitting the seals I decided to get the doors taken off. So I called in two guys from the paint workshop to do this, knowing I couldn't do it by myself. incidently I asked them to take off the bonnet as well to make it easier for me to fit the new sound insulation. Having removed the two front doors they said they would have to remove all the interior door fittings and card I had just fitted to access the two rear door hinges as this was the only possible way to do it.. I decided then to leave the rear doors and I would try and fit the seals with them in position.Which comes to my request for help,
Is this the only way you can remove the rear doors ?
What does the screws do that goes through the B post into what looks like the back of the rear door hinges. ?
Is there any adjustment or alignment that can be done with the doors ?

I am now going to attempt to loosen / remove the the rear door hinges where they are screwed into the B post.to give a bit more access for gluing in the new seals. I have contrived a complicated form of platform and ropes to support the door.

Can anyone help me with the above ?

Dennis
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
Glyn Ruck

Re: Then pesky doors

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Fitting the rear door rubbers with the doors on is easier than front which is frankly impossible without botching.

Rear door hinges are easily removed from the B pillar with an impact screwdriver.

Count shims so you can replace as they came off if fitted.

Remember to remove catch strap pins.

You ideally need a second pair of hands available.

Good luck!

untitled.png
untitled.png (5.24 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
IMG_20180710_160614.jpg
IMG_20180710_160614.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
dennis

Post by dennis »

Hi Glyn,

Many thanks for your info and pictures. The two screws that I was trying to describe in the B pillar can only be viewed with the front door being opened and each of the screws appears to go into each of the rear hinges. I was hoping that they could be used to adjust the rear doors backwards and forwards, but I have not seen this ever mentioned so suppose the are only used to fix the hinges ?

Thanks again, it looks like you have a smashing S type you have and I envy where you live, I have holidayed in South Africa many times and found it a wonderful country.

Dennis
New Purchase July 2018 1968 S type - rust free ! , but need to restore wood, - old laquer to be stripped and new applied inside, and requires a re-spray.
dennis

Post by dennis »

Hi Glyn,

Back again, just to let you know, after my morning efforts I can definitely say that the only way to remove the rear doors is by removing the rear door cards for hinge access and the two screws that go through the B post are for securing the hinges only..
Live and learn!
Now to find a glue, other than an impact one, to fix the rubber seal with the back doors on.

All the best

Dennis
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Sorry if I gave you bad advice. Will look at my car tomorrow. We are not understanding one another? Brain fade on my behalf.
A1B56966DN
dennis

Post by dennis »

Hi Glyn,

No problem, I have now glued in place the rear door seals, messy and fiddly job, But what I have learnt, the time I spent trying alternative ways of doing things it would have been a lot quicker removing door handles card etc to access the door hinges and remove them to fit the seals..
As someone said to me when I was laying the new carpets etc, The second time you do a job on a classic car, you do it twice as quick, and twice as well !

Best Regards
Dennis
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Sorry I have come in a bit late I think but the hinges do come out with out taking them off the doors but there are three bolts. Two you can see on the inside of the rear door jam which are like big cross head screws and then there is a third bolt at the back holding the hinge to the "B" pillar. See the attached photos. I cannot remember how to get to this bolt but it is there.
Attachments
Rear door hinge.jpg
Rear door hinge.jpg (141.45 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Rear door hinge 2.jpg
Rear door hinge 2.jpg (220.33 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Thanks Rob ~ I thought I was not going mad. I've just looked at my car & placed the battery on maintenance charge.

Each hinge is held to the B pillar by 3 Phillips head machine screws that require an Impact screwdriver to remove. 2 are accessed from the rear doorjam as indicated in my pictures above & one accessed from the front doorjam by merely opening the front door. Remove the catch strap pin & the rear door is off with the hinges still attached to it. Door cards can stay in place.

Top screw shown. There is a similar lower screw. (pic from archive)

20170409_190835 - Copy.jpg
20170409_190835 - Copy.jpg (190.85 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

That's the one Glyn. I knew it was there but I never removed the hinge completely so had forgotten how to access the third bolt/screw.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

We had the hinges off during early prep & painting.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 53 visits

Sam01 (1), Treetrimmer (6), Fonzie (1), member (1), badger (1), jerry_hoback (1), paddyx350 (2), User avatar Glyn Ruck (21), User avatar cass3958 (9), User avatar John Quilter (3), dennis (5), RollyTG (1), johngosnell (1)