Contents of the tool box

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
Treetrimmer

Contents of the tool box

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi Folks,

Would someone please enlighten me as to the correct spanners for the tool box. It would appear I'm missing a large spanner from the R.H. most slot, and have 2 spanners in the L.H. most "indentation".
ED08790F-B2C7-46A7-8B82-A698E5266A51.jpeg
ED08790F-B2C7-46A7-8B82-A698E5266A51.jpeg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 1586 times
Thanks for your help.

Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
Tom Hoffman
Site Admin

Re: Contents of the tool box

Post by Tom Hoffman »

There is a pretty fair representation of the grease gun label that you can find and print out in the maintenance documents section on the main menu above.
Tom Hoffman
Webmaster

#1B53255DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Richard regarding the tool box you have everything you need. David wrote about the tool box contents in one of the news letters several years ago and I am sure he will come up and direct you to it.
From memory the "S" type tool box was identical to the Mk2 apart from two things. One the tool box was marked on the outside top cover with an "S" in yellow marker to designate that is was for the "S" model and the reason for this is the second difference that the "S" tool box should be missing the winding handle for the jack. The "S" model jack had a built in handle so it was not needed in the tool box but rather than redesign the box they just left the slot empty. See my photos. Mine is not the original tool box unfortunately as this was stolen by the garage that started the rebuild on my car before I bought it and I had to make this one up from parts I bought at Beaulieu.
The box is plastic on later models and wood on the early cars.
The spanners can either be "Jaguar" or "Garrington" but not mixed. There are four spanners and they sit one on top of another in the two spanner slots.
The brake bleeder repair kit can be "Girling" or "Dunlop" depending on the age of the car and the brakes that are fitted.

This is the way the tool box should be. If it is not I am sure someone with an original untouched tool box will correct me and supply a photo of theirs.
IMG_8824.JPG
IMG_8824.JPG (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1574 times
This the Mk2 Jack Handle that is missing from the "S" Model tool kit in the slot it would normally sit in. I just happen to have one to hand.
IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_8825.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 1574 times
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Treetrimmer

Post by Treetrimmer »

Ah I begin to understand! Two of the three "slots" were originally intended to house 4 spanners, and in the "S" type application, the third " slot" is redundant. Thanks for your explanation, I was previously unaware of the difference.

Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Different suppliers were used. Some kits had SSP/Jaguar spanners & Bahco/Jaguar adjustable wrenches ~ Jaguar Logo on one side & SSP logo on the other etc.

Tyre pressure gauge was a Dunlop 6J ("J" was for. "Jaguar,") ~ some with winged logo, some without but must be a 6J ~ no "J" no good.

Spark Plug was a Champion UN 12Y (must have cardboard sleeve over threads ~ some silver, some black)

Most S Type toolkits were supplied with jack handle but not used (this might have been South African production only)

Cases were wood & steel (early) Plastic (late). Very early cutout wood panel flocked green, later flocked black, plastic not flocked.

Tyre valve extractor Dunlop brass majority. Very late yellow plastic.

Bleeder tube Dunlop to about Aug 1966 & Girling thereafter (Girling bought out Dunlop's braking business).

Tecalemit Grease Gun GC 3020 label. Wrapped around gun with elastic band.
Tecalemit Grease Gun GC 3020 label.JPG
Tecalemit Grease Gun GC 3020 label.JPG (47.85 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Not mine but a correct example. (I have a restored full kit). See Word doc for better example.
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection1.jpg
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection1.jpg (213.77 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection.jpg
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection.jpg (212.3 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection2.jpg
tool-kit-jaguar-mk2-in-wheel-complete-tool-kit-from-the-ian-cummins-collection2.jpg (128.35 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

Guys,
Sorry I am late with this. I've had my head down trying - and trying to get a very difficult Newsletter ready to send
Toolkiti and tools - all you could want to know and probably more is in the below Newsletters in the archives
Toolkit: Vol. 1, Nos. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 11; Vol. 2, No. 3
Toolkit Contents: Vol. 1, No. 7
Cheers,
David
PS: this is why I did a comprehensive index to the Newsletter ;-)

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 57 visits

dennis (2), Rogerisleofman (1), Millwind (1), BASILRULER1234 (3), jerry_hoback (1), angelo1952 (1), vaultsman (1), RollyTG (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), Treetrimmer (6), User avatar Tom Hoffman (7), User avatar John Quilter (2), User avatar Glyn Ruck (18), johngosnell (3), User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar David Reilly (1), JCS (2)