Engine bay notice or decal missing.

Modifications, tools, upgrades etc. (that don't fit in the other categories)
cass3958

Re: Engine bay notice or decal missing.

Post by cass3958 »

No decals but I changed from the plastic bottle to a glass one as the plastic bottle had clouded, was really dirty and the glass bottle looks so much smarter. picked it up second hand at Beaulieu with the cap and motor very cheaply. Cheaper than buying a new plastic bottle.
Question though when did they change from the glass bottle to the plastic?
Mine is a September 1967 manufactured car.
Was this one of the cutbacks Jaguar made when it went over to British Motor Corporation (BMC) in 1966? The merger with Leyland Motor Corporation was not until 1968 and my car was on the road by then.
My apologies for changing the subject slightly above but to continue on with decals how did the merger in 1966 with BMC and all the cutbacks alter the decals, amounts and placings?
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

The windscreen washer was changed in March 1965.
See Newsletter Vol. 5, No. 11.
Cheers,
David
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

David,

Always right there with the right information and where to find it. I was looking back through my S TYPE email file this morning trying to find your photo of your fan motor markings (turns out they are silk screened) and, believe it or not, I started asking you questions about my engine compartment rebuild and originality almost 10 years ago to the day! Hard to believe. And over the course of the next 2 years you answered all my questions and sent great original photos of your car in almost 100 emails to help me get my engine compartment correct. Thank you.

Alan
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

s type decals 008.JPG
s type decals 008.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
Glyn asked what I knew about the Lucas washer bottle. My bottle was on the car (a 1964) when I bought it in 1976. I replaced the bracket with a NOS one during restoration in 1978-79. It included the sticker which was identical to the one I replaced it with in 2010 and which is shown in the photo. I don't remember where I got. The black rubber fill cap is original to the lid (scratch marks courtesy of a mouse, probably not British).

Other photos include:
1. Control box sans yellow marking but soon to be when I figure out if it is 30 or 35. Includes cover C22662 which I don't see very often.
2. Power steering fluid container cover and sticker. I know this cover and sticker can be oriented other ways but I chose this one because it's easier to pour fluid in with the tilted spout facing toward you rather than away from you.
3. The brake warning and fan motor stickers I had made. Original fan markings were screen painted and beyond my ability.
4. My original coil from 10/64 that Garrett Bourque in Maine USA was able to supply. Bondo and silver paint made it look pretty new and it works. Sticker from Classic Reproductions as I recall.

I'm pretty sure all this is correct for my car but comments are always welcome. And if someone could tell me how to put photo attachments where you want them in the post I would be most grateful.
Attachments
s type decals 005.JPG
s type decals 005.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 003.JPG
s type decals 003.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 001.JPG
s type decals 001.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 004.JPG
s type decals 004.JPG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 002.JPG
s type decals 002.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 007.JPG
s type decals 007.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
s type decals 006.JPG
s type decals 006.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

awiedie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:51 pm Glyn asked what I knew about the Lucas washer bottle. My bottle was on the car (a 1964) when I bought it in 1976. I replaced the bracket with a NOS one during restoration in 1978-79. It included the sticker which was identical to the one I replaced it with in 2010 and which is shown in the photo. I don't remember where I got. The black rubber fill cap is original to the lid (scratch marks courtesy of a mouse, probably not British).

Other photos include:
1. Control box sans yellow marking but soon to be when I figure out if it is 30 or 35. Includes cover C22662 which I don't see very often.
2. Power steering fluid container cover and sticker. I know this cover and sticker can be oriented other ways but I chose this one because it's easier to pour fluid in with the tilted spout facing toward you rather than away from you.
3. The brake warning and fan motor stickers I had made. Original fan markings were screen painted and beyond my ability.
4. My original coil from 10/64 that Garrett Bourque in Maine USA was able to supply. Bondo and silver paint made it look pretty new and it works. Sticker from Classic Reproductions as I recall.

I'm pretty sure all this is correct for my car but comments are always welcome. And if someone could tell me how to put photo attachments where you want them in the post I would be most grateful.
Fantastic information all ~ Thank you!

Alan,

1) Thought you would go with yellow marking. If your dynamo has the cover band over the brushes it's a 35. If solid body it's a 30 to the best of my knowledge.

2) I also fitted the wiring cover on the regulator. Most get lost & I don't know whether it was deleted at some time during production. Many JCNA & the like concours winners without them

3) Thanks for clarification on the fan motor markings. I had multiple screened units from my primary & donor cars & wondered if it was an SA built car issue.

4) Pleased to see that your coil sticker uses the correct Lucas font.

Great clear photos as always!!

We all have to make some sensible choices along the way.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Rob,
Even Aston Martin changed to the 5SJ plastic washer bottle. It was just a running change during production that Dave Reilly has kindly provided a date for. Plastic bottle was fitted standard to my late 1965 CDA production car.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Thank you to Alan for the photos, David for the date info and Glyn's clarification. All brilliant information.
I will now have to trawl the internet to find them all, maybe buy a bunch of each and make up some decal packs for the S Type.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Cass and Glyn,
look at the topic with link posted by John Gosnell titled "Decals".
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

As I pointed out to Dave Reilly earlier in this thread who posted the same contact ~ unfortunately a number of their decals are inaccurate & do not use the correct Lucas fonts ~ e.g. the coil sticker.

EDIT: BTW the coil decal Barratts sent me is also wrong so I will look elsewhere. I show correct ones early in the thread.
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

I'd love to see some of those photos of David Reilly's original engine bay, Alan - or David, if you still have them to hand.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 611 visits

johngosnell (10), User avatar San Jose Scott (1), User avatar cass3958 (47), User avatar Glyn Ruck (332), Albion (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (26), awiedie (63), jonesdl (21), Jose (102), User avatar Tom Hoffman (3), User avatar David Reilly (4)