My S type

Stories and photo's about "S"-Types you know or own
abbirkin

Re: My 1965 3.8 manual S type

Post by abbirkin »

Just to expand a little on the last photos. I said earlier the car had been in a wooden garage 8-9 years. Someone broke into the garage at that time and stole the radio and leaving the interior as it is on the photo. The owner lost heart in the car and just left it as it was with roof open, broken garage window and ill-fitting garage doors. I'm convinced this is what saved the car with natural air flowing round it for so long.

After we dragged it out of the garage (brakes not locked) we put an upturned petrol can to feed the carbs, put on a battery and it started! The clutch was seized temporarily but came off with a bang!
We towed it home with my brother's Granada Estate, only about a mile but was apprehensive of ramming him down a hill, but used the handbrake successfully.
The Webasto roof, having been open for all that time would not stretch to completely shut, so I waited for a warm day, kept damping it with hot water until it shut. I later had to renew the fabric roof as it was going rotten.

After playing around with the car for a while, I decided to drive it locally to a car valet who washed the wheels with acid and cleaned the car. When I went to fetch it later, it was astounding. I decided to call in my local garage asking him to test it to see what what wanted doing. Again, astonishingly, after fitting a new exhaust (the old one had rotted, but it sounded great without one) and fitting a new ball joint, he gave me a clean certificate! I taxed and insured it and just drove it for a while. After finding it was doing about 50 miles per pint of oil, it was then I knew I had to do something drastic.

Hope the above is interesting.
Barrie Birkin
Jaguars currently owned: 1965 S type 3.8; 2019 XJ 3.0D Portfolio
jonesdl

Re: My S type

Post by jonesdl »

Looks like you have a great car there Barrie it looks really good. Also nice to have the back ground to finding your the S type, welcome to the group.
Regards
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Great story Barrie keep it coming.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
JCS

Post by JCS »

Barrie

Cass said “One of us might live around the corner,you never know”

Beautiful car you have and as expected it looks well in Black and chrome.

My own car, with some exceptions such as the roof and colour is an almost copy, I even have identical wing mirrors, roof aerial and wheels, albeit I have Red coachwork but Ivory XJ seats.

As Cass said “you never know” well I pass straight through Matlock on the A6 very often as my daughter lives very close by, but I stay in Wessington when I drive the Jaguar as I now live 70 miles away.

Years ago I used to turn around in Matlock centre when road testing cars. Notice that the tree on the Matlock side of Whatstandwell bridge has a single trunk It originally had a split of three trunks until one of my testers placed No 2 cylinder of a Bentley MkIV around that centre trunk and I had a Diamond T unhook it.

Norman

Those were the days….so if you see a Red 3.4 ltr S type on the A6 “You never know”
abbirkin

Post by abbirkin »

Thanks Norman.

Interesting to see you have a similar car, albeit different colour etc., any pictures available?

Sounds as if if you used to have some fun on the local roads some time ago - I know the route you ‘raced’ well!

I’ll look out for you in the local area.

On another tack, has anyone a preference on tyres for the S type; I’ve just had a puncture and it seems I’m ready for a couple of new tyres. Existing are Avon 185R15 93H.

Barrie
Barrie Birkin
Jaguars currently owned: 1965 S type 3.8; 2019 XJ 3.0D Portfolio
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

185 VR 15 Michelin XVS or 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P

020x(2).JPG
020x(2).JPG (217.11 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
020x(4).JPG
020x(4).JPG (207.73 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Michelin 185HR15 XVS-P.jpg
Michelin 185HR15 XVS-P.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 98 visits

deelcee (4), Fredomusicman (2), abbirkin (29), Mechiel (2), User avatar dsbiggles (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (4), HG_S-type (1), User avatar roman_mg (1), Sam01 (1), JCS (3), User avatar Glyn Ruck (10), CharlieM3.8S (1), Jim_R (4), dennis (2), paddyx350 (2), johnthejagman (2), User avatar John Quilter (6), Treetrimmer (5), User avatar cass3958 (11), jonesdl (3), User avatar NigelW (2), User avatar Tom Hoffman (2)