Refitting the chrome

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
DevilDog

Refitting the chrome

Post by DevilDog »

Well, the chrome has all been redone. The fasteners have all been purchased. Now what????????

Need a video on how to reattach the chrome. I did not take if off and the guy that did recently passed away.

Still have time....still working on other stuff. Just thinking ahead.

Help???????????????????????? As usual.....
Joe
Captain, USMC (Retired)
1965 Jaguar 3.8 Manual w/OD & RHD "Miss Kitty" 1B54554DN
2003 Dodge Durango SLT
2001 Dodge V10 2500
2017 Load N Go 24' car hauler
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Refitting the chrome

Post by Jose »

Joe, I can only suggest: VERY CAREFULLY.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Joe, Fitting the chrome is fairly easy. Just takes care.

If you are using the mounting kit from Barratts:

1) Bonnet chrome goes on with fold back (staple type) fasteners which is just a matter of bending back lots of tabs. Front trim ahead of leaper uses a T clip attached by a nut & anti-shake washer.

2) If you are using the pop rivet clip system for all shoulder stripping on scuttle & doors it is dead simple. Pop rivet all clips on & chrome strips just clip over the stud heads. Use a rust preventive on every rivet as they will damage the paint in every hole & slot. Front of front doors have a clip that is attached by a nut & anti-shake washer. B Post trim is attached by a nut.

3) Roof Drip Rail covers clip on easily. Once again use a rust preventive like Tectyl underneath them as minor paint damage is inevitable. Remember to fit the centre clip before fitting B pillar chrome/stainless cover.

4) Badging & spears all go on with plastic friction bushes.

5) Front & Rear Window chromes require to be glued in place. I used Loctite 480. Fit chrome joint covers.

6) Bumpers over riders & window frames bolt on/screw on. Rust protect holes

7) Re-glazing NDV's can be a challenge. We made up jigs

8) External shoulder window wiper chromes are screwed & pop riveted in place once you have pulled rubbers into grooves. Once again rust prevention necessary at screws & rivets.

9) Door frames & front & rear NDV's need channel felts & rubbers fitted plus inside whisker strip on each winding window internal.

10) Attach leaper to bonnet/hood

11) Screw chrome trims to headlights after adjustment & to parking lights. Fit direction indicators.

12) Boot/trunk plinth & rear lights to be fitted with necessary pads & rubbers. Plus fit vertical chrome strips on either side of the number plate with their proprietary fasteners.

13) Fit door handles locks & pushes.

14) Tab & glue A pillar chrome panels in place.

15) Pop rivet U shaped chrome trim below grill.

16) Assemble & fit grill ~ bolt on.

17) Fit rimbellishers & hubcaps.

18) Fit wiper shaft chrome covers & nuts. Fit wiper arms & blades.

19) Fit windscreen washer nozzles.

Internal chromework is vast in number of pieces but fitting is obvious. Dash furniture, door furniture, wood furniture, NDV latches etc. If you have rechromed armrest chromework you will need to make up new pivot rivets. Gearlever, knob cone & ferule, handbrake lever & chrome cover plate etc.

Use masking to protect chrome in working areas if you are worried you might scratch something
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Glyn that is an impressive list and there are some things on there I have never heard of so must be a CKD thing.
8) External shoulder window wiper chromes are screwed & pop riveted in place once you have pulled rubbers into grooves. Once again rust prevention necessary at screws & rivets
Cannot quite make out what this is so a Photo might be nice.
Also
15) Pop rivet U shaped chrome trim below grill.
Don't think I had one of these either. Photo please.

Joe. Fitting the chrome is fairly self explanatory but the order that it goes on is not. For instance the big slab of chrome on the "B" pillar is held on with screws which are then covered with the rubber door seals. But the roof gutter strip has to be fitted first as the joining piece over the top of the "B" pillar is screwed in behind the "B" pillar chrome. And whilst I talk about the door seals the internal wood pieces over the top of the drivers and passengers doors are screwed in place from the outside in to the back of the wood and the door rubbers then go over the top of the screws so they cannot be seen. The number of times I had to take off a piece already fitted to fit another piece which should have gone on first is not worth talking about.
5) Front & Rear Window chromes require to be glued in place. I used Loctite 480. Fit chrome joint covers.
I did not glue my front chrome in as it sits in to the rubber and is held in place. I then connected the two ends together with wire as there are holes in the chrome for wiring it together. The covers are glued on though. As for the rear chrome surround, do yourself a favour and get someone else to do it for you but don't pay them by the hour. Get a job price and then leave it with them. I have written a post on this which can be found here, http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... f=21&t=124 and describes a method of fitting the windscreen, rubber and chrome all at the same time. Good luck with that one. I broke one rear screen and was lucky to have a spare so don't hit it too hard with the palm of your hand as I did to get it to sit flat.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

No problem Rob. I expected questions because we all use different terminology.

No 8 ~ Door shoulder moulding ~ Joe & I have already covered at length for his window "wipers/seals/moleskins (pic of some Aussie trying to sell one LOL)

door shoulder moulding - Copy.JPG
door shoulder moulding - Copy.JPG (54.41 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
IMG_1312 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1312 - Copy.JPG (152.43 KiB) Viewed 2274 times

No 15 ~ U shaped chrome moulding below grill ~ many missing from cars. Here goes for now. I will try & find a better picture

IMG_20180722_203242 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20180722_203242 - Copy.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2274 times

No 5 ~ Front window rubber chrome strips are known to blow off at speed. Gluing is advised. Many do not have wiring holes. Sounds like a good idea if they have.

Leave gluing door jam rubbers to last. You require access. From fitting cabin woodwork to treadplates.

Fitting the rear window chrome is an evil job. They need to be perfectly shaped & held down by much tape until adhesive has set. They hook into the rubber window side & cap over the rubber body side.

Rear Screen chrome - Copy.JPG
Rear Screen chrome - Copy.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Chrome moulding that has 2 sharp tongues & lips up under the grill. Fills gap between bumper & grill. All S Types had them. Discarded by many when repainting or repairing accident damage. Part Number BD26510.

IMG_20180310_111958 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20180310_111958 - Copy.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2268 times

Part Number 25 here:

Part No 25.JPG
Part No 25.JPG (81.15 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

After I posted I had a look at the parts list and found the chrome under the grill but my car has not got one and it did not come with the car when I bought it so had no idea it existed. I will have to buy one eventually but presumably the grill has to come off to fit it and that is another bitch of a job. I am lucky to have long thin arms because with short fat arms you would never be able to reach the top screws behind the grill through the inspection hatch.
The "External shoulder window wiper chromes" confused me as I thought you were referring to the windscreen wipers and could not envisage an extra bit of chrome to stop the wipers going too far.lol.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

I salvaged one of those under-the-bottom-of-grille-molding-finishers but it will need re-chroming.

Actually, I think it holds the front wings together from blowing off the car at speed. :D
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Item !5 on your list Glyn the chrome trim below the grille behind the front bumper, I was going to ask about that as my S type has that fitted. My question was, is that a part a Jaguar option, standard fitting or aftermarket factor accessory part. Only it a good idea covering the spot welds and various welding of panels in that area from new, but it is a water trap perhaps.
I have seen it on a very nice red S type NMO 978E at the I.O.W. show last year and on several later Mk 2' 340's with the S type front bumper so was it an option for that type of front bumper ?.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

cass3958 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:05 pm After I posted I had a look at the parts list and found the chrome under the grill but my car has not got one and it did not come with the car when I bought it so had no idea it existed. I will have to buy one eventually but presumably the grill has to come off to fit it and that is another bitch of a job. I am lucky to have long thin arms because with short fat arms you would never be able to reach the top screws behind the grill through the inspection hatch.
The "External shoulder window wiper chromes" confused me as I thought you were referring to the windscreen wipers and could not envisage an extra bit of chrome to stop the wipers going too far.lol.
Many have been discarded over time. We all use different terminology. If you loosen the base of the grill you should be able to slide the two sharp tongues up under it. Working through the hatch under the grill is not easy. I rattled off the list from memory in the early hours of the morning & have likely forgotten something. Fortunately it is fresh in my mind from doing the chromework on my car.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 894 visits

Sam01 (4), User avatar Glyn Ruck (312), Xroyalnavy (3), Norton (1), Rogerisleofman (1), philippe (1), Fonzie (5), RollyTG (25), Albion (133), badger (1), Treetrimmer (14), johngosnell (7), User avatar John Quilter (9), User avatar cass3958 (90), DevilDog (150), User avatar Tom Hoffman (5), HG_S-type (10), dennis (6), Zephyr12345 (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (28), vaultsman (2), abbirkin (1), jonesdl (32), User avatar NigelW (9), Jose (38), Motorvated (2), awiedie (4)